Frustrated

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Substitute "Brand X" generic bleach. That is what I used to use. In fact, the pet store in my town just used it last week to clean the corals in their tanks. Cheap because it has no additives.
K, thanks. Hearing mixed opinions on using bleach on lava rocks

It's a lot more expensive than other types of bleach but babies' bottle sterilising solution contains just hypochlorite.

If you get a basic bottle of bleach that only contains Sodium Hypochlorite and nothing else, you can use it on porous rocks. However, if you get a normal bleach that has surfactants or other additives, then do not use it on porous rocks because the surfactants don't wash out that easily.

You can also put the rocks into a bucket of salt water for a few days, then rinse and let dry.

If you get a basic bottle of bleach that only contains Sodium Hypochlorite and nothing else, you can use it on porous rocks. However, if you get a normal bleach that has surfactants or other additives, then do not use it on porous rocks because the surfactants don't wash out that easily.

You can also put the rocks into a bucket of salt water for a few days, then rinse and let dry.
Ok thanks. Can’t seem to find pool salt nearby now either. It’s all gone. Can I use softener salt(I have a bunch). Or I‘ll drive

Hardware stores usually sell pool salt. If you can't find it, look for salt that contains sodium chloride.

I don't know what is in the water softener salt

Without fish in the aquarium, you could put in a massive dose of ammonia and wait for it to be made safe by the bio filter. Nitrites and nitrates will spike but can be taken care of using a routine water change. Ammonia is a very effective cleanser and once it has been nitrified will not leave behind any other substances or residues to worry about. Any traces of ammonia would be quicly handled by the bio filter.

Bleach is an effective cleanser, just make sure it is pure bleach that you use and things normally need at least 15 minute soak to be fully disinfected. Be sure to thoroughly rinse and over-dose aquarium with Seachem Prime (or similar) to ensure any bleach traces (if there are any) are quickly eliminated.

Another approach (that would work for cleaning rocks etc) would be to bake them in an oven. Rocks will explodeif pockets of trapped moisture are vapourised but lava rocks are often used on BBQs, although they are porous and trap water they also allow the moisture to escape.

Another altertanive, I have not seen mentioned, would be to empty the aquarium and allow everything to dry out (at room temperature). Sub-zero temperatures could freeze micro-organisms that could awaken when warmed up (I am assuming the bacteria you are fighting requires moisture to survive).

Last edited:
Without fish in the aquarium, you could put in a massive dose of ammonia and wait for it to be made safe by the bio filter. Nitrites and nitrates will spike but can be taken care of using a routine water change. Ammonia is a very effective cleanser and once it has been nitrified will not leave behind any other substances or residues to worry about. Any traces of ammonia would be quicly handled by the bio filter.

Bleach is an effective cleanser, just make sure it is pure bleach that you use and things normally need at least 15 minute soak to be fully disinfected. Be sure to thoroughly rinse and over-dose aquarium with Seachem Prime (or similar) to ensure any bleach traces (if there are any) are quickly eliminated.

Another approach (that would work for cleaning rocks etc) would be to bake them in an oven. Rocks will explodeif pockets of trapped moisture are vapourised but lava rocks are often used on BBQs, although they are porous and trap water they also allow the moisture to escape.

Another altertanive, I have not seen mentioned, would be to empty the aquarium and allow everything to dry out (at room temperature). Sub-zero temperatures could freeze micro-organisms that could awaken when warmed up (I am assuming the bacteria you are fighting requires moisture to survive).
Hmm, interesting. I could try the ammonia as I haven’t quite taken anything down just yet. This would allow me to leave everything in the tank as is then I’d assume? How much ammonia are we talking? I have several of those 2 oz bottles of Dr Tim’s pure ammonia. Can I get a big jug of pure ammonia somewhere? Thoughts on this Colin or anyone else?

if you get the ammonia level above 5ppm the filter bacteria won't touch it. And you need high doses of ammonia to kill things. Salt or chlorine is better.

Most reactions

trending

Back