Fruit and vegetables.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kirsty90

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So far I have learnt and discovered that my fish like cucumber and cooked peas... And other fruit or vegetables that tropical fish will eat?

So far I have learnt and discovered that my fish like cucumber and cooked peas... And other fruit or vegetables that tropical fish will eat?
Is this ANY fish, or specific fish..? (I’ve got guppies and a Betta)

Is this ANY fish, or specific fish..? (I’ve got guppies and a Betta)
I have a community tank with various fish in. I was literally told to just try and learn that way and that if it wasn't eaten within two days then to remove it as it will start to rot and will be no good for the water or the fish at this point. I was advised to begin with cucumber and then I read about cooked peas and tried that too. Courgette will be the next thing I try though for sure.

Should it be cooked first or given raw? @Essjay

I usually cut a 1/4 inch (5 mm) slice, put it in a bit of water and blanch it in the microwave for 30 seconds. I have an old teaspoon I use as a skewer to make it sink.

Don't forget to wash well or peel any fruit or veg as they could have chemicals such as insecticide on the surface.

pumpkin, dark green leafies like spinach, just make sure they are free of chemicals and rinse well before use.

I had a rainbowfish that liked banana but none of the others did. Some ate watermelon and apple.

pumpkin, dark green leafies like spinach, just make sure they are free of chemicals and rinse well before use.

I had a rainbowfish that liked banana but none of the others did. Some ate watermelon and apple.
I did try apple but didn't have much interest in it.

Only tried fresh baby spinach leaves to prevent the goldfish from eating plants & they rejected it. Fussy!

I feed mainly for my plecos but find many of the fish will enjoy as well.
Summer Mellon's (wash outer rind or peel off, leave in for up to 6-8 hours, tends to cloud water but it clears fast) like watermelon, honeydew, muskmelon/cantaloupe.

Winter Mellon's (wash outer rind well. Can be left 12-24 hours. Can also par cook/cool and leave in for a few-6 hours). Mine like pie pumpkin, acorn, delicata, turban, Hubbard, spaghetti, carnival, the small or regular butternut squash varieties.

Other Veggies (wash well or buy organic. Be mindful of what you're putting in as to tank time i.e. some zucchini will be a 4-6 hour, while Opo squash can go 6-12). I use zucchini, yellow squash, Opo squash, sweet potato (raw can go for 24+ hours in a tank, you can par boil but that will leach sugar and starch in tank).

Misc, also follow the rinse well and common sense for time in tank. I have also placed papaya, mushroom caps, and diacon planks in the tanks.
All of this has been nibbled on with different levels of voracity by my plecos, tetras, gouramis, Cory and SA cichlids. Some was also enjoyed by my zebra loaches as well.

The mushroom cap was enjoyed exclusively by my plecos, and it was mostly the skin.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back