Front Fins Thin And White?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've noticed my betta has been resting more than usual in the past few days (usually on the sand) and when looking at him this evening I noticed that his two front fins have become thinner and have white edges. It is strange, though, he swims around for a few minutes then stops. His fins look a little clamped when he 'rests'. His other fins, however, look quite normal. He's a veil tail and was bought him last February so he isn't that old.

Any ideas what's up with him and how it can be fixed?

Many Thanks

I've noticed my betta has been resting more than usual in the past few days (usually on the sand) and when looking at him this evening I noticed that his two front fins have become thinner and have white edges. It is strange, though, he swims around for a few minutes then stops. His fins look a little clamped when he 'rests'. His other fins, however, look quite normal. He's a veil tail and was bought him last February so he isn't that old.

Any ideas what's up with him and how it can be fixed?

Many Thanks

Are the tips just white or is there any red/veiny things on them?

Sorry it's a bit blurry, but you can make out the white edges to the fins. It's hard to tell if there are any red veins as the fins are red in colour. You can see the 'cutouts' on the top and bottom edges where they were once round.
kb2c9k.jpg

He's eating fine and seemed quite happy when I was doing his w/c the other day, it's just the past 2 days or so.

I've read that a change in colour could be a possibility but his behaviour change and the change in shape of his front fins doesn't seem right, surely? The tips of ventral fins are also white.

His Ventral fins being white tipped is natural :) However from that picture it looks like he may be starting with a small case of fin rot or fungus on his Pectoral fins as they shouldn't be white like that.

Thanks. I do have some fin rot treatment in my supplies so I'll see if that helps.

I must say though, I do find it strange that it seemed to occur after the w/c though as I didn't do anything different (aside from use a sponge to clear a algae which was fine last time).

Thanks. I do have some fin rot treatment in my supplies so I'll see if that helps.

I must say though, I do find it strange that it seemed to occur after the w/c though as I didn't do anything different (aside from use a sponge to clear a algae which was fine last time).

Your tap water may have had something in it after all the floods(if you are in the UK) so that could have caused it :)

Dosed some meds last night so guess we will have to see if it clears up. He's still quite lethargic - he swims slowly when he does so and rests most of the time. I've heard garlic can be beneficial to bettas - how might I go about using it to help him?

Thanks for the advice :)

Dosed some meds last night so guess we will have to see if it clears up. He's still quite lethargic - he swims slowly when he does so and rests most of the time. I've heard garlic can be beneficial to bettas - how might I go about using it to help him?

Thanks for the advice
smile.png

You can buy garlic enriched food like Live Garlic Enriched Brine Shrimp :)

There's been no improvement with the medication thus far - if anything he's worsened, now refusing food. He looks a little bloated, any tips? I thought of pea but wasn't sure if it would help.

His behaviour is, in some ways, similar to old age with him being so lethargic. However, I highly doubt he's much more than two, having realised that I actually bought him last June, so this is doubtful. I'm not sure if he's lost a little colour, actually, as I'm sure he's a little duller than he used to be, unless that's just him being unwell.

There's been no improvement with the medication thus far - if anything he's worsened, now refusing food. He looks a little bloated, any tips? I thought of pea but wasn't sure if it would help.

His behaviour is, in some ways, similar to old age with him being so lethargic. However, I highly doubt he's much more than two, having realised that I actually bought him last June, so this is doubtful. I'm not sure if he's lost a little colour, actually, as I'm sure he's a little duller than he used to be, unless that's just him being unwell.

Right, sounds like trying a Pea may be an idea as he could be constipated as well as what ever is going on with his fins.
For the fins, try doing daily 25% waterchanges and feeding him high quality food for a week. If there's still no improvement the I don't know what could be done :(
Could you answer me these questions please and could you try and get a better picture of him?

What are your water parameters - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH?
What's the tank temperature?
How big is the tank?
What else is in the tank?
How long as the tank been set up?
Did you cycle the tank?
Added anything new recently?

This would help a lot more lol

I am glad to report that he seems to be much better, swimming around a lot more and the white colour on his nt fins has faded. His stomach area does still seem enlarged and his excrement is white/stringy, so I'm wondering if there's a parasitic problem. I'm calling in at my LFS tomorrow so I'll see if they have any medication should that be the case.

To answer you questions, though:
Water parameters 0, 0, 40 (have readings in tap water that contribute to this), unsure of pH as haven't tested it in a long while.
Temp around 26-27
28L, just him and an amano shrimp (do plan on adding a few more)
Bacterial colony established around 3 years ago
Nothing new added in the past month or so

OK, all sounds good :) Thank you. Glad he's doing better!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back