From 1 New Addict To Many Others...

Nicholaa

Reaction score
Hello Fish Forums Folk!

I am an upstate NY owner of 3 10-gallon aquariums looking to expand/combine into a minimum of a 55 gallon, perhaps going larger (freshwater). I currently am keeping only Mollies (with the exception of 3 cory cats and 2 plecos). I believe I am going to stick with the Mollies for now as I really do enjoy their friendliness and the fact that they are live bearers and my daughter loves to see when a momma Molly gives birth.

We have probably 20-25 fry in one of the 10 gallon tanks and the other 2 tanks have the other Mollies (one tank is a hospital tank right now since I have been battling ich and now I think my one has another disease - trying to diagnose is difficult, even w/the literature/websites out there.)

I bought the Dummy book for Aquariums and I am very very nervous about upgrading to a large system. I am unsure of if I want to use live plants or not - what substrate I want to use - if I want both a regular filter and an underlaying one - or do I want a canister filter? How do I want to get the tank started - do I want to jump start it with the water/substrate from my current tanks or do a long drawn out process with guppies or danios to start it? All these questions are not *meant* to be questions.. so don't move them to a forum, just to let everyone know what I am thinking right now :)

I could read until I'm blue in the face and I am almost afraid to come to any type of forums because I think *everyone* who claims to be a somewhat "fish expert" is still going to all have conflicting opinions. But, here I am, hoping to weed through the variety of information to see what I can find and what I can use.

Nice to meet all of you and I will be doing a lot of reading and posting before I make the final choice on the large aquarium! :)

hi,
welcome to tff,
its best not to have an under gravel filter with plants as it takes away plant nutriants from the tank floor.
going bigger is not a big problem, if poss run the new filter inside your old tank along side the one thats already there, give it a few weeks then it will have all the good bacteria it needs to run your new bigger tank, then add fish a few at a time until they are all in the new tank, you dont need to add old tank water but if you want to it wont harm anything, good luck Donna :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back