Frogs

tez2k007

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
359
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Gateshead
Bought 2 small frogs from LFS yesterday just to add some different life to the tank. Anyone have much experiece with them.
 
I personally would keep them in a smaller tank so you could insure that they eat properly. Other fish seem to take alot of there food sometimes. I have 2 myself and have moved them around between my 3 tanks but I currently have 2 in my 5 gallon and plan to add 2 more to make it a total of 4. They can split the food easier and have some more fun. there known to have alot more fun in groups and even wrestle for fun sometime i hear. Just make sure that there both fed and dont go without food thats hard to do in a big tank though. (seems I repeated myself a bit)
 
I personally would keep them in a smaller tank so you could insure that they eat properly. Other fish seem to take alot of there food sometimes. I have 2 myself and have moved them around between my 3 tanks but I currently have 2 in my 5 gallon and plan to add 2 more to make it a total of 4. They can split the food easier and have some more fun. there known to have alot more fun in groups and even wrestle for fun sometime i hear. Just make sure that there both fed and dont go without food thats hard to do in a big tank though. (seems I repeated myself a bit)

Cool cheers Ill just try dropping some pellets down next to them as I am feeding the rest of the fish.
 
pellets may be a bit to big for them. brine Shrimp and blood worms are ideal but you can also feed them tadpole bites. Lastly I would suggest finding where they hide the most and use a turkey baster to put worms/shrimp into that area.
 
my three are fine in a 50ukg tank. they eat what the rest of the fish eat, flake, pellets, bloodworm and the like. they are fit, healthy, active and they shed at regular intervals. none of my fish notice them, even the angels and green terror!
 
my three are fine in a 50ukg tank. they eat what the rest of the fish eat, flake, pellets, bloodworm and the like. they are fit, healthy, active and they shed at regular intervals. none of my fish notice them, even the angels and green terror!

How often do they shed and what exactly do you mean.
 
my three are fine in a 50ukg tank. they eat what the rest of the fish eat, flake, pellets, bloodworm and the like. they are fit, healthy, active and they shed at regular intervals. none of my fish notice them, even the angels and green terror!

How often do they shed and what exactly do you mean.

frogs shed/moult their skin, in order to grow. i could not tell you the, actual, interval. i see the start of a moult, splits in the skin. often by joints and in the shoulder region. and i then see the frog looking complete again next time. the period, between, varies. according to age and the food avaliable.
 
Here's a bit of info on skin shedding:

[URL="http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id14.html"]http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id14.html[/URL]

I always know when my two ADFs are about to shed because their skin goes a lighter colour and they tend to stay in one spot for ages, usually up the back of the filter. Have never seen any skin hanging around in my tank, though, so presume they must eat it.

My two are in a 2ft x 16" high (although I keep the water level an inch or two below this), community tank and it did take a while for them to get used to the feeding scenario - yes, greedy fish always rush to the bloodworms/daphnia/brine shrimp that I put in for the frogs. What I try to do now is drop some of the food on one side of the tank so that the fish all swarm over there, then I quickly drop more food in above the frogs and as it settles down onto the gravel they start hunting and gulping it down. I always watch to make sure that they do actually eat something.

Any foods that sink are ideal. If you run out of live/frozen foods and only have flake to-hand, best way to give this is to put some tank water in a little cup, add the pinch of flake to it and swish, then pour this into the tank - it will force the flake to sink, rather than floating on top.

Although I have my ADFs in a community tank, I do agree that it's probably best for the frogs if you can have less fish in with them, purely for the fact it makes feeding time easier if they don't have much competition going on.

Also, a tank that is not too tall is better as they have to swim up to the surface to gulp in air - and they are not fantastic swimmers, so a shorter upwards journey time for them is ideal LOL :nod:

Another thing to bear in mind is the type of substrate you have in the tank. Avoid any of those rough, coral type gravels as these can scrape their skin - and gravel that is too small can easily end up being gulped down by accident and get stuck in their throat. I've heard of this happening and causing the frog to die. So gravel that is smooth but large enough not to fit in their mouth is best.

Hope that's helped - Athena
 
Do the frog's need a platform or anything? seen them in with ram's in my local pets at home ,looked really intresting .
 
No they are truely aquatic.
My frogs eat bloodworm, brine shrimp, fish food and even algae and shrimp wafers. They eat their skins after they have shed. They are in a community tank and boss the fish about.
 
Don't need a platform :).

Need to be careful when buying the frogs that they aren't African clawed frogs though, which look very similar (especially when young) except that the clawed frogs will get much bigger and consume any small fish.

If they are white, they are certainly clawed frogs (dont get white dwarf frogs) but clawed frogs come in normal colours too.
The key is the front feet - clawed frogs dont have webbed feet while dwarf frogs do.

I've seen them mislabled so many times at pets@home it's ridiculous.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top