frogs in my pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

macky1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
a few questions on frogs if you wouldnt mind answering ...;o)

how can i attract more frogs?

how long does spawn take to hatch?

how can i stop my fish eating the taddy's?

thanx muchly

macky :D :D :D

HiYa Mac,
the simple answers to your questions.
1. You can't. They will either come or not. They will always try and come back to where the originally spawned and developed. That is why it is illegal to remove frog spawn from one pond to another.
2. Depends on the weather, the warmer the weather the faster the taddy's will hatch and develop
3. Seperate them. If you can't seperate them then nature will need to look after the taddy's herself. Make sure your fishys have enough food so they are not attracted to the taddy's.

Dragon is right, they will either come or not. I always attract toads to the wildlife pond, but not frogs until I moved some Tadpoles 180miles from my Uncles pond to hear and this is their first spring in the pond and we have FROG SPAWN :hyper: , so it is hit and miss really. If you make the pond easy to access and add plenty of cover you may attract them but they tend to stick away from large fish ponds with active, big fish IME.

Good Luck :)

thanx peeps

there is 1 frog that is in the pond but i only see the one
a load of spawn has appeared also

so there must be at least 2 kermits in there...lol :D

there is mostly goldfish/orfe and 2 sturgeon in the pond the goldfish/orfe/koi are no bigger than 6inch

and the 2 sturgeon are about 18inch long

hope they dont eat all the taddy's

cheers
macky :blink:

You should add a shallow bog area to your pond so the taddys haave somewhere to hide. That and provide floating plants and low cool cover to give the plants somewhere to hide.

Opcn

opcn

i have 3 small boggy ares that are well planted and have lots of cover
the black dots in the spawn are starting to elongate now so it
shouldnt be long before they hatch eh!!!

cheers
macky :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back