Freshwater Ray

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@ombomb

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My girlfriend fell in love with the Rays an London Aquarium and as we are planning on getting a big tank in the next 12 months, Freshwater Rays are something we'd like to think about. I know they're fairly hard to look after but that's about ALL I know about them, other than what's in the Teacup Ray info on the Fish Index.

Are there any other Freshwater Rays that could be a possibility?

What tank size will they require?

Water parameters?

How do they fair with other bottom feeders / tank mates?

I have a nasty feeling that they won't be the right fish for us really but I'm off work sick and am trying to get a good idea of what we could manage in terms of tank size / inhabitents.

When keeping rays width of the tank is the most important factor to consider, a tank of 30 inches wide or more is preffered and certainly no smaller than 24 inches, an ideal minimum tanksize would be 72x24x30 (L,H,W).

There are lots of rays available starting with "teacups" which is a generic name given to all small unidentified rays, though they are usually P.reticulata or P.hysterix which are the cheapest averaging at £70 to £100 each (tea cup rays should be avoided by begginers as they are delicate and often difficult to feed), going through to P.laticeps and P.motoro which average at about £100 to £150 and all the way up to P.leopoldi, P.henli and other highly priced Potamotrygon species which start at around £300 each and go into the thousands.

Rays are related to sharks and as such are predatory animals, while most larger fish are ignored there is always a chance that a ray may just turn round and decide to eat a tankmate, small fish will be hunted down immiedietly so dont keep anything under 4 inches with them. Once a fish is cloaked by the rays disk it is over in seconds as the rows of razor sharp teeth in the rays jaw strip the flesh from the bones like scalpels.
Rays should never be kept with territorially aggressive fish like some large Cichlids, rays have no recognition of territories and will swim where ever they like which can result in one of two outcomes 1) The ray gets damaged and will probably die as they cannot be treated with standard aquarium medications, or 2) The ray defends itself using its tail and kills the attacking fish by injecting it with venom.

Water parameters are not as crucial as some would have you believe, as long as the pH and hardness are not in the extreems then rays can easily adapt to it, mine happily live with a pH of 7.6 and a hardness of around 20dGH. What is important is that the water is clean, nitrates musnt be allowed to exceed 50ppm and there must NEVER be any trace of ammonia or nitrite, rays dont tollerate bad water at all so twice weekly water cahnges of 25 to 50 percent are highly recomended.

Rays are a lot of hardwork and are expensive animals to keep but if you are prepared for that then they are extreemly rewarding and great fun to own.

Thanks for the info CFC. Pretty much confirmed what I thought, great fish, just not for a while.

I echo what CFC says and would have to say that I think that even a 24" wide tank is too small for a ray. I was looking at the possibility of a ray in my new 6x2x2 and decided against it as I just don't think it is fair on the ray. I have seen some sites recommend 18" as the minimum width, but this IMO is just being evil to the ray.

Fantastic fish, if you have the time and energy to put into keeping them. I have seen some fantastic tanks (around 8 x 4.5 x 2.5 feet - L x W x H) with communities of rays and they look fabulous.

Fantastic fish, if you have the time and energy to put into keeping them. I have seen some fantastic tanks (around 8 x 4.5 x 2.5 feet - L x W x H) with communities of rays and they look fabulous.

Couldn't agree more, one of the most attractive types of fish around. Unfortunately when I do manage to get this tank up and running, I'll definitely have smaller fish in there and want it to be heavily planted, both of which seem like a real bad move with rays in there.

When I have the time / money to give them a nice big tank to themselves and a couple of larger fish, I'll definitely get some.

I think when consider what your next tank is going to stock you have to think about what you want out of it.

I would never go back to boring litle fish now as they have no personality, after a litle training rays will react to you and so would most tank mates you choose to put with them.

here's a site that might swing you to the evil side!! http://www.freshwaterstingray.nl/Frames%20...ls/English.html

planted tanks have there limitations aswell! :D

oh and flattery won't get you any more discount dan! :p

Paul_MTS said:
I think when consider what your next tank is going to stock you have to think about what you want out of it.

I would never go back to boring litle fish now as they have no personality, after a litle training rays will react to you and so would most tank mates you choose to put with them.

here's a site that might swing you to the evil side!! http://www.freshwaterstingray.nl/Frames%20...ls/English.html

[snapback]846270[/snapback]​

paul i hate you. i looked at that site. why wasnt there a warning label? now i want a ray. :X but the biggest tank ill be able to fit is a 6 by 2 and its not big enough. damn you :/

what temperture does the rays need?
do they need sand ?

whats the smallest type??

Paul_MTS said:

[snapback]846270[/snapback]​

paul i hate you. i looked at that site. why wasnt there a warning label? now i want a ray. :X but the biggest tank ill be able to fit is a 6 by 2 and its not big enough. #41#### you :/

my 3 rays are coming in the 1st week of december, cant wait, there are just to gain experience in the run up to getting the p14 rays which is my dream to keep, my tank at the moment is 7 foot by 30" wide and 26" high, but the rays are reticulatus and stay reasonably small, not the easiest of rays to keep, but been told if i keep these well then i'll definitely be able to keep the p14's well and thats what i want, the experience!
rays are a lot of aquarists dream fish to keep, they are mine! as stated they need big tanks, although it is said a tank 6x2x2 is minimum, i wouldn't do it, i consider mine as absolute minimum, and thats only for these smaller rays, you should really go at least 3 foot wide for any of the rays named, like leopoldi, motoro, p14, black diamond, they are all gorgeous fish.
oh, the smallest ray i believe is potamotrygon scobina that max at 12", not seen too often these days and been off many or all wholesale lists for quite some time, there is only 1 pair i know of for sale, supposidly the only breeding pair in the uk, for £1000 i was in the process of buying them but pulled out due to lack of funds, i was gutted, nevermind!

no, this is one ray that can happily be kept in a 6x2x2, as with all fish though the bigger is better, these fish max out at 12" so the minimum width being 2x the rays size, i would say 30" wide would be better. but yeah these are definitely a ray for someone that cant go above 6 foot and are restricted with width.

Most reactions

Back