Freshwater Barracuda

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Far2lively

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I was just looking into freshwater barracuda and was wondering if anyone on here has kept them before within a community or is this unadvisable??

Don't put them in a community tank. Only house them with fish that are similar in aggressiveness and size.

Ok would it be ok if I were to put them in with a RTBS, 3 Melon Barbs, Firemouth Cichlid, Channa Gachua and 2 Hoplo Catfish

do you mean Hujeta gar?

what size tank do you have? The firemouth might bother it and the snakehead should be in its own tank.

200litre, yh its scientific name is Ctenolucius hujeta, a snakehead expert said the gachua will be fine with tank mates aslong as there the same size as it he's been in there a while and is showing no signs of stress ect I've read up on them aswell and they are one of the species that tolerate other fish and don't have to be in a species tank, unless this information I have been given is wrong???

Snakeheads are always best put in a species tank, not just due to the occasional agrerssion but to get the tank setup the correct way. The Ctenolucius Hujeta will ned a bigger tank in time. They're not particully agressive but are predatory so need to be housed with similar sized fish.

On your current stocking i'd do the following:

Up the number of barbs - they ideally need to be in bigger groups
Remove the firemouth as its more than likely going to cause an issue.

And then prepare to buy a bigger tank when the time comes.

My current stocking list is not up to date atm I have Channa Gachua, 3 melon barbs, RTBS, Firemouth, Pleco and 2 Hoplo Catfish I'm tryin to sell the firemouth and the pleco, and also have a giant snakehead which I need to sell

I have my two huejita gars in a 400l tank
Been in 2 years, can't seem to get them over 5" long, so not too big for a smaller tank I wouldn't have thought
Not at all aggressive, but do like to eat small tank mates
I wouldn't worry about them being the bully, but being picked on - they will lurk at the top so anything bottom to middle dwelling should be fine
- this is purely based on my experience however

My little silver barracuda is amazing. He is just perfect for the tank. I love their personality

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back