Found Out The Source Of My Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have finally found out what killed all my fish and shrimp and now know what not to do and why it happened. I'm also pleased to report 12 hours ago I out in some new fish, hardy ones that I don't really want but wanted to make sure the water was fine and they all look fine and healthy. The water was tested by London zoo and all the water qualities came back as usually and the same as my tests were showing but they were able to figure out what happened. I'm so relieved thanks for your help from Tom

So what was going on?

What were the actual readings for your water tests?  
What was the solution/cause of the problem?

I put a new ocean rock in on last Tuesday and that caused the alkalinity and ph to increase which caused the deaths of my shrimp and kribensis fry. The fish I put in yesterday are all still alive and happy so it looks like the problems have finished from tom

What were the numbers that the London zoo generated.  I would be very interested in seeing what they test for compared to what most people test for.  The information may help a lot of us maintain a healthier aquarium.

Additionally in your previous post you measured PH levels of 7.6 and 7.4.  Cherry Shrimp should do well at those levels.  Many sites state Cherry shrimp can tolerate a range of 6 to 8.  I have also seen post of successful breading at values very close to 8.  I don't doubt that the rock may have been a cause   I just don't understand why your PH reading were OK while their readings were high.

My test results before this all happened were

Ph 7.4
Alkalinity 250
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0

After this whole situation happened the results were
Ph 7.9 up 0.5
Alkalinity 310 up 60
Nitrite 0.02
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0.02

London and whipsnade zoo use palin test kits which cost over £1000 to buy and are very accurate so I'm more inclined to believe them when they say that the ocean rock I put in caused my water parameters to change quite suddenly and it was a fairly big difference and that's what killed them.

I have 4 platys and 6 neons in the tank which have been there since Monday and they are all doing fine.
From Tom

Those Alkalinity numbers are wird.  I have been supplementing my RO water with a mixture of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.   If I saturate the water with them I get an alkalinity of about 100 and a PH of about 7.8.  With your alkalinity numbers I would  have guessed the PH should have been well above 8.  That was one very strange rock you put in there..  Out of curiosity what color was it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back