Forgot How Expensive This Addiction Can Be!

DevilsAdvocate

Fish Addict
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
788
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Walsall, UK
Hi all,

I've been out of the Fish Keeping game for a few years now, and decided to get back into it recently. I'm in the middle of pricing up a 4x2x2 tank with Cabinet/Hood and all the gubbins to go with and I'm already past the £800 mark without even having any fish! :blink:

I remember why I sold up before now :P
 
WOW, thats about 1200 dollars, right? If so, you got ripped off. You could get one w/ stand for 200 or less ( E 100) here. Even cheaper if its in the classified adds ( used stuff for sale, and they usually come with fish)
 
I haven't paid for anything yet. I'd love to be able to find a brand new 4x2x2' tank with a nice Cabinet for less than £150 which is roughly what 200$ would work out too. It's all going to be brand new stuff and I'm getting the Cabinet custom built in some nice wood as it will be a centre piece in the lounge.
 
Tell me about it! I've spent hundreds over the last few weeks alone - and every time I go into my LFS for something simple, like bloodworms or brine shrimp, I end up coming out of there with bags of stuff and a further £50+ drain on my bank account LOL :fun:

I'm sure they must hypnotise me every time I go in there 'cos I haven't once managed to come away with exactly what I went in for!

I think the trick might be for me to leave my bank card at home and just carry enough cash for whatever it is I need to buy. Hahahaha - yeah, I can see me doing that! Trying to separate me from my bank card would be like chopping off one of my hands :crazy:

Athena
 
I haven't paid for anything yet. I'd love to be able to find a brand new 4x2x2' tank with a nice Cabinet for less than £150 which is roughly what 200$ would work out too. It's all going to be brand new stuff and I'm getting the Cabinet custom built in some nice wood as it will be a centre piece in the lounge.

Never mind then, sounds like a good deal.
 
Yeah I know what you meant. I used to work weekends at my LFS. It was horrible. Every weekend I'd have spent my wages before even having them :P. I'd always get first dibs on the nice stuff that came in, and the discount was nice :P
 
lol try taking up shooting, just one of my rifles and the scope cost me £1000.

shotgun shells are about £200 for a 1000, which would probably last you a month, depending on how often you shoot!
 
lol try taking up shooting, just one of my rifles and the scope cost me £1000.

shotgun shells are about £200 for a 1000, which would probably last you a month, depending on how often you shoot!


OMG Gaz are you serious? Do you really get through that many in one month at £200 a time? Bloomin' heck you must be loaded ('scuse the pun!) :lol:

Athena
 
lol try taking up shooting, just one of my rifles and the scope cost me £1000.

shotgun shells are about £200 for a 1000, which would probably last you a month, depending on how often you shoot!

How much do you shoot?!?

And out of curiosity, what kind of rifle and scope do you have?
 
lol try taking up shooting, just one of my rifles and the scope cost me £1000.

shotgun shells are about £200 for a 1000, which would probably last you a month, depending on how often you shoot!


if i was your wife/mum i would bloody well send you back out to find the ones you shot away.and use them again, tho if its that easy you would i spose :lol:
 
lol I dont shoot shotgun (yet) I need to get another licence before that can happen!

But you can easily get through 200 cartridges in 1 session on clay's. Imagine doing that every sat and sun - starts to add up!

Mr_Fishy - I have mostly airguns, but I hunt with a .22LR.

The cabinet has in it;

Sako Quad .22LR
Air Arms s410 .22
Theoben MFR .22
Weihrauch HW97k .22
Air Arms Pro-Sport .22
Theoben Fenman .20
Webley Xocet .22
Air Arms TX200SR .22
 
I don't know about the pricing of ammunition or fish stuff in the UK but if I read it right the 800 pounds is close to $1600. The 200 pounds a month is close to $400. Today's exchange rate is $1.9738 per pound. A good 120 gallon tank will set you back about $350 for the tank with a minimalist hood. A good hood and filters, etc. can easily be as much as the tank and a nice stand can be that much again. At $1050 for everything brand new, 800 pounds looks very high to me. It seems about 300 pounds overpriced.
On the shooting supplies, a box of 250 .22 pellets will cost you less than $10. The .22 long rifle on the other hand is about $15 for a brick if you find them on sale. A brick is 10 boxes of 50 rounds each. Your ammunition costs made sense to me when I was thinking 12 ga shotgun shells but not for .22LR or .22 pellets. Those typically cost about 2p US each.
 
Let's not forget that regardless of exchange rate, things just down right cost more to buy in the UK than they do in the US.
 
Tell me about it! I've spent hundreds over the last few weeks alone - and every time I go into my LFS for something simple, like bloodworms or brine shrimp, I end up coming out of there with bags of stuff and a further £50+ drain on my bank account LOL :fun:

I'm sure they must hypnotise me every time I go in there 'cos I haven't once managed to come away with exactly what I went in for!

I think the trick might be for me to leave my bank card at home and just carry enough cash for whatever it is I need to buy. Hahahaha - yeah, I can see me doing that! Trying to separate me from my bank card would be like chopping off one of my hands :crazy:

Athena

try working there ;)

but seriously that seems way over priced, just get a second hand one for about £100 or new should cost about £300
 
I don't know about the pricing of ammunition or fish stuff in the UK but if I read it right the 800 pounds is close to $1600. The 200 pounds a month is close to $400. Today's exchange rate is $1.9738 per pound. A good 120 gallon tank will set you back about $350 for the tank with a minimalist hood. A good hood and filters, etc. can easily be as much as the tank and a nice stand can be that much again. At $1050 for everything brand new, 800 pounds looks very high to me. It seems about 300 pounds overpriced.
On the shooting supplies, a box of 250 .22 pellets will cost you less than $10. The .22 long rifle on the other hand is about $15 for a brick if you find them on sale. A brick is 10 boxes of 50 rounds each. Your ammunition costs made sense to me when I was thinking 12 ga shotgun shells but not for .22LR or .22 pellets. Those typically cost about 2p US each.


you're lucky.

Over here people dont shoot as much as they do in the US.

pellets are about £8 (the decent ones) for 500, and .22LR is about £40 per brick (Eley subsonics). 17HMR is about £12 per 50 :crazy:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top