For the attention of Discus Keeper!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Emperor Tetras, Red Phamtom Tetras, Black Phamtom Tetras and several other species of Tetras. Have a look through some species and then tell us and we can tell you if they are suitable or not. :)

thanks for all your help Ryan!!! but it's bedtime now, i'll look into what i like tomorrow, and post back, night all

Well, I would look at it like this, this is your first outing with Discus, so to prevent that turning to tragedy I would play it safe. A lot of people are turned off Discus because the first experience is bad and they lose a few fish. Most people lose a few neons too, but they arent particualrly known for being 'difficult'. Thats probably because of the high price of Discus, and the usual stuff you hear about how hard it is to keep them.

So, for the plan:

For a tank of that size, I would get 6 or 7 smallish 4" Discus from someone who really knows what they are doing. Make sure the tank has been running for over 4 months at least with some tetras and a few catfish. Gibbiceps plecs are quite large and make a lot of waste, so it will build up the filter well. I wouldnt advise keeping him with the Discus though as he might like the taste of their sides, so make sure he has somewhere to go when the Discus arrive. Some small apistos like the Cacatuoides like the same water and are a better choice of bottom scavenging fish than corys IMO, who may not like the heat/depth or oxygen content of a Discus tank.

I dont advise Angels and Discus together, unless they are adult Discus and juvenile Angels, and in a very large tank. One or two pairs of each would be ok for your tank, but Angels are real bullies towards fish of the same size. They may keep the Discus from feeding properly and you may not see the Discus as much because they wont be as secure. For best results, dont mix them IMO.

Congos are too busy for a Discus tank IMO.

The rummy noses are a great choice for a Discus tank, and I really like the red flame tetra too (the red phantom is a bit of a pest).

If I were doing it, which I will be shorlty :), then I would keep other fish to a bare minimum until the Discus are there for a month or so, you could keep the other fishin quarantine for that period, and add them slowly.
The bottom line is that Discus do not like surprises in any way, shape or form. Whether that is new fish, a different pH, temperature, surroundings, rap music etc etc... they just dont cope well with anything out of the ordinary.

Another point to mention is that Discus dont like medications, so if you do plan on keeping other fish, the discus welfare, rather than the sick fish will have to be the priority, so a treatment tank is a must. The other fish will have to like the same conditions as the Discus, so the Discus are the main focus around which everything else should be judged. I would keep Discus at no lower than 28C or 84F.

If you can afford it, a UV steriliser is a great preventative measure.

Good luck :)

Ken

Discus are delicate, they need pristine water. You will want to make sure the tank is well understocked, and that your fish load will match your maintenance schedule. You don't want your nitrates any higher then 15. This is pretty low, and most tanks will easily and quickly get above this, hence the reason for understocking. A strict water change and vacuum schedule is also a good idea, many owners will do it on a daily basis, but weekly should be fine.

I would personally skip the angels altogether and just do a Discus tank, so that the discus can be catered to. If you want the discus to thrive they should be the dominent fish in the tank, and I don't think that would be likely with Angels involved.

Also if you are buying the discus young remember to get a few more fish then you plan on having as adults. There is always a chance of losing one or two along the way, and you will end up having some outcasts that need to be removed as well.

For a schooling open water fish just start off with one type and see how it goes. It's never too late to add more fish to the tank, but it's easy to go overboard from the start. Stick to calmer fish, I agree completely with the previous statements about the congo's.

Make sure the tank is 100% cycled - go fishless.

thanks for your advie ken and cichlid addict!!!

i'v been frantically reading up on disucs for since christmas, and i probably won't be getting this tank until september, but i want to plan before hand so everything can be perfect for them.

Thank for the idea about using apistos as bottom feeder, but how many would you recommend, i'v never kept any?

On the angel side of thing, i'd like trial them with the discus, buy a few small ones, let them form a pair, and either put the rest in another tank, or trade them back to the lfs. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding some adult disucs if i do this.

How many red flames would i be able to keep in a tank like this? a shaol of 12 - 16 like ryan suggested for the rummy nose?

How would a pair of rams settle into it?

Finally, how much would a UV sterilezer set me back?

Thanks for all your help :)

Edit: Becuase i felt like it :lol:

Apisto species are normally best kept as a trio, one male to two females so the females are not overly harrased. In a tank that size you could have two maybe three trios so each female can occupy its own space in the tank. Blue Rams IME tend to carry some diseases and parasites so I wouldn't recommend them for a Discus tank. :)

thanks for all your help Ryan!!!

but how do you sex apistos?

It depends on the species, do you know which one you plan on getting? Generally the male is more colourful and has more elaborate finage. The differences between the sexes are very apparent in most specimens so it isn't a challenge to pick out male and femals.

Doggfather said:
thanks for your advie ken and cichlid addict!!!

i'v been frantically reading up on disucs for since christmas, and i probably won't be getting this tank until september, but i want to plan before hand so everything can be perfect for them.
every one should be so cautious , great planning.

i'v been reaserching apistos recently, trying to decide which i like...and i'm thinking either Cacatuoides (as ken suggested) or maybe Apistogramma agassizii? how do you all think the agassizii would do?

every one should be so cautious , great planning.

thanks!!! i decided i might as well plan now and get what i want, then not have a plan, and get screwed over by the lfs :lol:

how about a mix, two of one and one of another, etc...or maybe find a third apisto species, and have three species altogether in a tank?

Yeah you could get a trio of each, try Hongsloi or nijsseni (my personal favourites).

This is a FANTASTIC thread. I only wish they could all be so informative and conversational. Thanks for letting me listen in. Some day I will do discus again - I had a great experience the first time but donated them to a fan years ago as they were too special to move from East coast to Alaska..

ALASKA

This is a FANTASTIC thread. I only wish they could all be so informative and conversational. Thanks for letting me listen in. Some day I will do discus again - I had a great experience the first time but donated them to a fan years ago as they were too special to move from East coast to Alaska..

Hope you do, do discus again!!! i love them, thats why i'm now working as many hours i can!!! they are just so expensive!

Most reactions

Back