For the attention of Discus Keeper!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have the Discus fever too :D . I just got 3 last week without knowing much about them(stupid move), but I've been spending countless hours reading and studying as much as I could to make sure my Discus thrives. So far So good, my Discus is happy and healthy(except for a few ICH spots that hopefully would be gone soon). I am planning to get another 3 in a couple of weeks and I can't think of any other fish I could put in my tank. They are a beautiful fish and should only be kept by people who has the patient to put up with lots of water changing and cleaning their tanks..

are you sure 6 disucs + other fish in a 33 gallon is a good idea? it sounds a bit cramped to me

Doggfather said:
are you sure 6 disucs + other fish in a 33 gallon is a good idea? it sounds a bit cramped to me
Doggfather is right, six Discus in a 33 gallon is to much, what are its dimensions?

before i forget...how would festivums do in a tank like i'm planning?

also, do apisots pair off like angels? or if i get a trio (1 male : 2 females) are they sure to breed?

The idea of a trio is the same as with livebearers. By having two females it means neither female is overly harrased. They will breed in that size tank, providing there are caves to provide spawning areas, they can be kept in pairs. Sometimes this is best as they have paired of or they were sold to the lfs as a pair. The festivums will also reach a large size and eat smaller fish, I wouldn't risk them with Discus. They could stand the higher temps as they often live around Angels in the wild, however, they grow big and can be aggressive so I would put the Discus first and leave them out.

how would chocolate gourami fit into the tank?

i'v read about them, and found they like the conditions i will have, will they be ok?

Chocolate gouramis are actually more difficult to keep than Discus, so I wouldnt go for them since you may end up doing all sorts to keep the gouramis alive andend up losing perfectly fine Discus in the process. I think that small SA species are the best choice.

I have almost finished my Discus tank now, I have 6 juveniles who seem to be settling in well at the moment. Check out the progress here.

Ken

so chocolate are a definate no then? not even a possibiliy that they would work?

I find it is often best to stick to fish that come from the same region, ofcourse a few others can be added from other areas. But by sticking to fish from the same country or region it is easier to provide the fish with the conditions they need, and as Ken says Chocolate Gouramis are very challenging, so I would leave them alone.

I find it is often best to stick to fish that come from the same region, ofcourse a few others can be added from other areas. But by sticking to fish from the same country or region it is easier to provide the fish with the conditions they need, and as Ken says Chocolate Gouramis are very challenging, so I would leave them alone.

dang, i'm quite fond of them :(

would a few rams be ok with the apistos?

and maybe a few swordtails?

how about some plecs? would they fit well?

i was thinking Gold Nuggest's (L-018), Red Tail Leopard (L-114)

what other do you guys suggest?

*how many could i keep?

Plecs would be fine. However, I would get a plec that grows any larger than 8" or they may take a liking to the Discus and suck on its side, I have seen this happen with Royals. Take a look on Planet Catfish. For example -

Golden Nugget L177
King Tiger L066
Leopard Frog L134
Zebra Plec L146

and so the list goes on.......................

it's hard to decide which plecs i want to get! all look great!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back