Fluval U2 Filter Being Noisy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lockhaart

Reaction score
I cleaned my tank out yesterday, mainly because the filter wasn't working right so I decided to do it all. The motor had died, so I had to go out and buy a new one, so I bought the same kind, a Fluval U2 as it was a good filter, easy to clean and quiet, as the tank is in my bedroom so I needed a quiet filter.

The new one however, I set it up as I should - took all stuff out of packaging etc, and put it together correctly, and turned it on. And it's making a rattling/grinding noise. I hoped it was just cos it was new so would quieten down after it had been running for a while, but last night it was still doing it and it kept me awake for a while.

I've took it apart again this morning and nothing I can see is the problem, the propeller thing at the bottom moves easily, if a little bit springy like ( the other one would turn when moved all way round this one feels a bit jumpy, but they may have changed that since I had bought my last one) and the bits inside all fit in correctly, I've moved it further into the water, and further out, but still nothing.

Is there anything that anyone can suggest to get it to stop?

I use to shake it a bit and sometimes that would get rid of the noise, if not try turning it off for a minute then back on .. Although you've probably tried this. If not give the shop a call and see what they are :) being an internal filter it should be fine :/

I've had the same problem with the U3, sent the first one back and second one is the same. Extremely noisy as soon as i have to clean it or take it out the water (after turning off ofcourse). Seems to take 4-6 weeks before it gets to a decent noise level again. I'm fed up with it and buying an Eheim external soon.

I've had the same problem with the U3, sent the first one back and second one is the same. Extremely noisy as soon as i have to clean it or take it out the water (after turning off ofcourse). Seems to take 4-6 weeks before it gets to a decent noise level again. I'm fed up with it and buying an Eheim external soon.

I am fed up of taking it back, now I cover it with a towel and put a pillow down the back at night, so frustrating, but I'm hoping that it will eventually chill out as its seems ridiculous to have to cover it up ¬¬

I am fed up of taking it back, now I cover it with a towel and put a pillow down the back at night, so frustrating, but I'm hoping that it will eventually chill out as its seems ridiculous to have to cover it up ¬¬

Yeah I've had enough of it also. They've sent me numerous impellers, housing etc to try and fix it and it doesn't. I've heard too many people complaining of the same thing now. I'm now ready to throw a bit more money at it and get a more expensive external. Hopefully I'll have more success with that!

Most reactions

trending

Back