fluval flex 15

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ex-28

Reaction score
i have the fluval flex 15 gal with live plants

what the best way to clean the gravel in this small tanks ?

would the python vacuum work well if i changed the end of it to a smaller one ? and controlled the flow / suction rate ?

Just use a standard gravel cleaner like the one in the following link. Clean the gravel in the unplanted areas, and carefully move the gravel cleaner around the edge of the plants but don't dig up the gravel around the base because you will disturb the roots.
http://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html
Thank you however wondering if the Python one that connects your sink would work or is it to much suction rate? It just makes cleaning and refilling so much eaiser

I can't comment on pythons other than saying the ones in Australia grow to about 10 feet and eat small animals and birds :)

We don't have python gravel cleaners where I live but I gather they are a gravel cleaner with a hose attachment to refill the tank after draining it. In which case it should be fine for cleaning the substrate.

I can't comment on pythons other than saying the ones in Australia grow to about 10 feet and eat small animals and birds :)

We don't have python gravel cleaners where I live but I gather they are a gravel cleaner with a hose attachment to refill the tank after draining it. In which case it should be fine for cleaning the substrate.
Hehe kool yes thats what I was asking appreciate ate the quick replies have a great afternoon

Thank you however wondering if the Python one that connects your sink would work or is it to much suction rate? It just makes cleaning and refilling so much eaiser

The manual gravel cleaner like the one in the link in post #2 has a much faster suction rate than the "Python" (or there is an Aqueon one too, not sure what they call it) that connects to the sink. And with the latter ones, you can vary the rate a bit depending upon the tap flow that creates the suction.

I use both, the manual in my smallest tanks (a 10g and 20g) but the Python in the larger tanks. I find the Python fills the tank quite rapidly and it is very easy to overflow small tanks. But there is no harm in using it to siphon out. I even use it with sand substrates and if you are careful, little or no sand will get sucked through, whereas the manual always does because it is much more rapid.

Having said all that, you might not want to clean the substrate much in a planted tank; the organics accumulating in the substrate are a prime source of nutrients, especially natural CO2. Provided you are not overstocked with fish, and do not overfeed, you should be OK leaving it alone for the most part.

I’ll second Byron’s reply. Before I closed my tank down it was a planted community tank for around 3 years.

I rarely cleaned the substrate, I just hovered the pipe above it when draining the tank to suck up the bits on top of it. My water always tested well and both Fish and plants thrived in there

I’ll second Byron’s reply. Before I closed my tank down it was a planted community tank for around 3 years.

I rarely cleaned the substrate, I just hovered the pipe above it when draining the tank to suck up the bits on top of it. My water always tested well and both Fish and plants thrived in there
Ok great thanks all appreciate it think I will go with the unit that connects to sink as I've had 9ne in the past and it worked great I just wasn't sure of the suction rate if it could be controlled but if no on / off leaver I can always ass an inline shut off as I had on my old one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back