Fluval 90L Light Not Working Then Working..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Proxo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Some might remember me posting asking about lighting as i thought my tank bulbs had gone, seems they didnt.
Basicually went to switch my tank light on 1 day and it didn't work, thought was bulbs as i'd checked fuse, plug ect.

The girlfriend asked why the light hadn't been on for a few days so i explained and then plugged light in to show her, it worked :blink:
So i switched it off by the switch on the cable and it wouldn't come back on, left it a while and it worked again and so on.

It either works or it doesn't work, any ideas people? really hope it's a easy fix as i can't afford a full light unit.

Sorry could of said this in a shorter way but i've had a cheeky weekday drink haha!!

Obviously with electrics there could be a number of causes, but check the starter. I don't own a Fluval tank, so I don't know exactly where the starter is fitted in the hood, but it will be easy to find. If it is the starter that is dead, you can usually tell by taking it out and refitting the same one with the light switch on and it will normally fire up or flicker as you refit the starter, if it is a starter fault. New starter will cost around 3-5 quid from places like B&Q, etc.

The starter and ballast are inside the lighting unit. Unplug it and take it well away from your tank.

First I'd reseat the bulbs to make sure they are in properly.

Then I'd double check your plug is wired correctly. Also try shaking the flex a bit with the light on and see if it recreates the problem. If it does you have a break in the cable somewhere.

If you still haven't found the problem using a fairly wide flat bladed screw driver you can prise the top of the unit off. Go carefully and slowly; it is glued and is a bit of a pain to do.

The starters are the white cylinder things. Take them out and get a couple more and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't fix it then we're on to the ballast possibly being faulty. At this stage if you are not confident in electrics and wiring get an electrician to help you.

Could also be the switch itself (a common fault in electical circuits). You can buy replacement rocker switches at B&Q as well and they are relatively easy to fit. But as I said before; if you are in any doubt get an electrician to help you. Done wrong, lighting circuits can an do start fires.

How old is the tank and is it under warranty? Fluval may be able to repair or replace.

Thanks for the help, the tank is about 4year so isnt under warranty.

I opened the unit up and had a little look inside, the plastic holders that hold the starter motors in place had all snapped to pieces so the wires had been disconnected. Not sure if the plastic holders can be bought seperate though, i doubt it?

:sad: lol.

I'm not really sure. But if you need part or help, contact Fluval They have great customer service! :good: Im sure they will be able to help you.

They replaced my light in my fluval flora for free even though it is not covered in the warrenty, and sent some freebies! :good:

Thanks for the help, the tank is about 4year so isnt under warranty.

I opened the unit up and had a little look inside, the plastic holders that hold the starter motors in place had all snapped to pieces so the wires had been disconnected. Not sure if the plastic holders can be bought seperate though, i doubt it?

:sad: lol.

Standard part. Most diy stores should have them or ebay.

Cheers mate, i'll have a look for them - if not my lfs said he'd have a little look too. (good lfs, lends me equipment for free lol)

Hello Proxo, I have the same problem. Could you please share where did you get the plastic holders? Thanks.

It was quite easy, just connected cables and used the insulation tape. There was no need for holders.

hi there i have the same problem my holders for the starters are brittle and broke does anyone know where to buy theses from tries to get it to work with just one but its not happening please help not gna waste £80 on a new light unit i an quite elctrical minded but have run out of ideas ????

many thanks 

ive tanked mine apart a few times I have 3 t5 tubes in mine on always works fine , I think I have a earth problem somewhere my tank is a good 8 years old , if I rub the tubes with both hands and touch gound bare food lol they turn on

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back