Fluval 405 Deceased

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Realtree

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Recently my Fluval 405 stopped working
When checked the obvious problem was that the impeller was not spinning - so I purchased a new impeller (and shaft as I broke it taking impeller out)
When I replaced the impeller I found that it no longer fit in the motorhead housing properly - when in position fit is solid tight with no play at all.
My lfs kindly told me the 405 was broken beyond repair - but can't give me a reason for the symptoms - consequently I bought a new 405 from them :sad: :sad:
Has anyone got a clue what could be wrong and/or how to cure it ??
It is as though the impeller is to big for the housing ???

im sorry but typical fluval external filters. reliable? (cough cough) :shifty:

yeah, a pic is needed to help us here

broken beyond repair? ... come and speand money in our shop!

Are you Rabbut?! ;)

Unless you were sold the wrong impeller, or you blocked the bit it goes in when you were removing the last one, I cant really think what could have caused this?

Looking at the video, nothing seems wrong? I'm not sure what you mean? The impeller cover goes on next and it should just work?

Are you Rabbut?! ;)

Unless you were sold the wrong impeller, or you blocked the bit it goes in when you were removing the last one, I cant really think what could have caused this?

Looking at the video, nothing seems wrong? I'm not sure what you mean? The impeller cover goes on next and it should just work?

The video was sent to me to show me how it should look and work
Mine as I say is totally tight within the housing.
No debris is in the housing and I have checked to make sure all parts are correct before fitting them ???

And the impeller was certainly the right one? Came in a Fluval packet that said 304/405 on it?

So the impeller is the same size as the old broken one, as is the shaft, yet it somehow doesnt fit and there's nothing blocking it :blink: ?

Your remembering the little rubber bit that goes on the end of the shaft too?

Still need a pic/video to understand the problem :S.

So the impeller is the same size as the old broken one, as is the shaft, yet it somehow doesnt fit and there's nothing blocking it :blink: ?

Your remembering the little rubber bit that goes on the end of the shaft too?

Still need a pic/video to understand the problem :S.

Yes all as you say
Will attempt a pic tommorrow but there will be no shaft as I broke it and will need to buy a new one

motorhead housing hole
DSC00242.jpg

impeller in place
DSC00243.jpg

on the above pic the impeller has been damaged when removing from hole with pliers - that is how tight it was stuck !!!!!!
As you can see the gap is normal all around the impeller but it is clamped tight by the lower end of the housing hole as though that end has somehow contracted ????????????

Are/were the impeller blades black? (look like they are in the pic)

Also, if you put your finger in the impeller chamber, and run it down the sides, is there a bump on the way down like half of the chamber has shifted in one direction?

Are you Rabbut?! ;)

Sorry about that, must have somehow signed in on the wrong account :p :lol:

Anyhow, back on topic. There appears visible damage to the impeller well, take a look in the narrower bit at the bottom, you can see a black scuff mark there from the impeller. Just try rubbing that to see if it's dirt/debris of some form :unsure: Are you sure the impeller shaft was broken by yourself when removing the impeller? When the impeller shaft fails, the impeller bounces around in the well, often causing scuff marks and jamming itself in, often with half the broken impeller shaft contributing to part of the jam... As Nick posted above, this is just one of the many common failures I come across on Fluval external's a lot of the time, and they definitely aren't reliable units... How old is the filter? If it's under three years, send it back to Hagen, thankfully they are usually good at honouring their warranty claims, all be it slowly... Tenner says it is just over three years old though and hence just out of warranty...

Are you Rabbut?! ;)

Sorry about that, must have somehow signed in on the wrong account :p :lol:

Anyhow, back on topic. There appears visible damage to the impeller well, take a look in the narrower bit at the bottom, you can see a black scuff mark there from the impeller. Just try rubbing that to see if it's dirt/debris of some form :unsure: Are you sure the impeller shaft was broken by yourself when removing the impeller? When the impeller shaft fails, the impeller bounces around in the well, often causing scuff marks and jamming itself in, often with half the broken impeller shaft contributing to part of the jam... As Nick posted above, this is just one of the many common failures I come across on Fluval external's a lot of the time, and they definitely aren't reliable units... How old is the filter? If it's under three years, send it back to Hagen, thankfully they are usually good at honouring their warranty claims, all be it slowly... Tenner says it is just over three years old though and hence just out of warranty...

Give that man a tenner !!!!!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

If I'm right with my guess of failed impeller shaft, you should only need a new impeller and impeller shaft to get it up and running again. Once it's going, get shot of it (sell it) before it causes you more issues :p If I were you though, I'd take the new Fluval back and swap it for something more reliable, like a Rena, Eheim or Tetratec. In 3 years time you'll probably have a similar issue to this with the replacement unit, as they either die shortly after purchase, or live 3 years then die IME... As many point out, not everyone as issues with Fluvals, but in the Leeds area, the folks that don't have issues with them seem to be a minority...

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back