Fluval 3.0 Nano

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LordHappy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Happy day,

In a soon-to-be-posted journal, I'll be engaging in a dramatic re-enactment of the building of my 9.6gl UNS tank tank, complete with all the poetic license that one can...well...license. In the meantime, I wanted to share a few comments about this light, which I have placed on a UNS 4.6g tank.

Pros
1. I love the app. It was easy to install and although some folks with fat fingers might have trouble with the sliders, it worked very well.
2. I love being able to set 10 different points in time with 10 different lighting effects...I currently have a sunrise, mid-day and sunset cycle which is simply fantastic to watch. As fish don't have eyelids, and the room they are in is dark, I like not startling them with the instant-on. I have changes made on the hour.
3. The setup of the light was so simple even a gecko could do it.

Cons
1. If you don't know anything about the science of lighting, you're screwed. If you live in a place where Youtube is blocked, you might be screwed, but for more important reasons than aquarium lighting. The good news is that Bentley Pasco has an amazing array of settings:
2. If you want an emmersive (emergent?) plant experience, the light isn't tall enough.
3. Even in daylight mode, with everything at 100%, the light does not seem to be as bright as the Onf Nano. Another Youtuber measured PAR value differences and it seems to be much lower than the Onf.
4. The cable bracket is a bit wonky. A second one across the top arm would be welcome, and I may just use a black wire tie from my next bag of bread.

Preference
1. I paid $88 including tax. Everyone has their own value proposition and this one fit mine.
2. It is a definitively square light and would probably look best on a cube tank. While being quadrilateral, my tank is not a cube, but rectangular. That said, the light provides more than enough cover for this nano tank, and would have done well on the larger one, too.

Plant Behavior
1. I generally have badly behaving plants. They are very undisciplined and grow wherever they want, with the java fern in particular is rather rowdy. Recently they've gotten into a battle with the red root floaters, which are now more red than with the Onf Nano light, with no change in water chemistry.
2. The dwarf sag grew very well under the Onf Nano, and I can't discern any real change between the lights at this time.
3. A pile of Christmas moss couldn't care less.

Conclusion
I am not a plant expert or a lightologist. This is a simple dirt tank with a gravel cap, no filter, no pump, no CO2 and no ferts. I didn't particularly care that the red root floaters were more or less red, and the little white flowers are still little white flowers. But the java fern has been more ornery than it was before and while I regularly throw out bunches, it just seemed to not really grow well in this tank until I put the new light in. But the main reason I bought it was because of the app...I wanted that shifting light as the day went on. For a non-technical person like me who is just smart enough to know that even though ice can be dry, water is definitely wet, having the Youtube review with the settings made me feel like a plagarist who has it made in the shade. I wanted to try out the Onf Nano+ light, but could not find it in the US, so I can't really compare it. But for the $88, I'm a happy camper.

Glad to hear my recommendation paid off :p

That’s a good read!

I love your avatar by the way, my favorite tie is by him. :)

Ooooh, I've been wanting a fully customizable light that I can put on a schedule. Does this one really work that way, i.e. I can program it to do, say, sunrise from 7-8, full light from 8-12, clouds from 12-3, full sun 3-7, and sunset 7-8?

Ooooh, I've been wanting a fully customizable light that I can put on a schedule. Does this one really work that way, i.e. I can program it to do, say, sunrise from 7-8, full light from 8-12, clouds from 12-3, full sun 3-7, and sunset 7-8?
Yup, you could do all that. The fluval aquasky has RGB and white i think, you can adjust the intensity of each, at any point in the day. The Plant 3.0 has 5 colours, red, blue, blue white, red white, white. Again, you can set whatever light to come on whenever you want for however long!

Interesting! The aquasky looks like a better fit for what I have in mind, but I'm a little worried about its only being operable by a mobile app, since I don't use a smartphone. Wonder if the app works on a chromebook.

Last edited:
Looks like theres a version for windows, your laptop would need to have bluetooth. I'll download it and let you know

Happy day...I use an android tablet that goes to and from the office with me. It connects through bluetooth and once it is set up, you don't really need to go back into it I used the settings below from the YT video I linked.

In the spirit of science, I have designed an experiment that I will conduct this weekend. I will craft a beautiful dinner artfully designed to be served in the bedroom and my wife and I will watch the sunset in the tank. This sort of efficiency of a delicately sumptuous meal, a romantic sunset and a bed in close proximity should produce some sort of mutually beneficial excitement for about 4 minutes. It is my hope that the Elassoma gilberti who occupy the tank won't be too offended.

Interesting! The aquasky looks like a better fit for what I have in mind, but I'm a little worried about its only being operable by a mobile app, since I don't use a smartphone. Wonder if the app works on a chromebook.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201108-084041.jpg
    Screenshot_20201108-084041.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 137
Happy day...I have a few of them, too, but I haven't worn ties in years. I do have a piece of artwork that I bought from him that he signed...wrote a little bit from Terrapin on it, too. It so amazing that, after all these years, the joy still flows. We were so, so very lucky.

That’s a good read!

I love your avatar by the way, my favorite tie is by him. :)

Happy day...I have a few of them, too, but I haven't worn ties in years. I do have a piece of artwork that I bought from him that he signed...wrote a little bit from Terrapin on it, too. It so amazing that, after all these years, the joy still flows. We were so, so very lucky.
That’s awesome man! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back