Fluval 206 Gasket Ring. Whats Type Of Lubrication

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ginty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have brought a new gasket ring because ive got a leak.
i see some people say use vaseline and other say dont because it deteriates the rubber quicker.
ive also seen that people use food grade silicone grease. is this true?

whats best to use and will last longer? and obviously not harm my fish?

After much deliberation and consultation I now use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly to lubricate all my filter seals. So far (after three years) I have noticed no rotting, no deterioration and continued sealing of and from my seals. I might add in support of Vaseline, that my home-brew keg provider recommends using Vaseline applied to the sealing ring on the cap. So there.

It will not harm your fish any more than it harms you. If you get cracked lips in the winter you might use it...and you don't die despite ingesting thousands of times the amount that a fish might get from a filter seal that is barely in contact with the water.

Don't worry about it, it's fine.

I suspect those that have experienced failures would have had them regardless.

needn't even be food grade, but yes silicon based grease is better for extending the life of rubber than petroleum based products, fact!
smile.png

type into Google Vaseline and condoms
smile.png

and from the Fluval 206/306 manual
Hagen206instructions_zpsda594614.jpg

Yes, that would be fine.

Personally, I prefer silicone grease to Vaseline; I find Vaseline turns into brown globs that stick everywhere!

thankyou. can you tell me the name of what you guys use so i can look some up. i wa t to get the best one i can afford

lol.

just out of interest. in an emergency. would wrapping ptfe plumbers tape around the o-ring work if a leak was to happen,

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
completely fine, yes I have used it. PTFE tape idea is a non starter.

Just to throw into the mix, I've had various external filters over the last 26 years including a Fluval 203 that still runs without leaks. I've never lubricated the gasket ring and have no plans to.

Lunar Jetman said:
Just to throw into the mix, I've had various external filters over the last 26 years including a Fluval 203 that still runs without leaks. I've never lubricated the gasket ring and have no plans to.
this is good to know. i have brought a spare ring so i might not put any lube on the one ive already got.
i brought it off someone and it leaked a little bit. i took the ring off and put it back on in a different position and the leak is gone. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back