Florida American Flag Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

recDNA

Reaction score
My LFS has some really nice specimens. I know these fish like high pH and/or brackish conditions but precious little else about them (temp 72). Has anybody here kept these fish? What can you tell me about them?

Could they be used as dithers in a tank of adolescent (1- 1.5 inch) Mbuna? As the Mbuna get larger they are moved out and replaced by the next generation.

Only saw this thread yesterday, so sorry about late response.

I was talking to a guy by the name of Chris Ralph last night, writes for a mag in the UK called Practical Fishkeeping. He bought some fish off me recently and called me up to basically say they're OK. During the conversation American Flags came up and so I mentioned your question and he gave me this info.

Max size 2.5", usually a bit smaller. They are a type of Killifish and excavate a pit in the substrate to spawn in. The substrate needs to be sand/fine gravel mix. (I think) they feed on small livefoods and good quality dried foods. They are not, however, suitable dithers for Mbuna (I don't think such a thing exists :D, they'd need mini flak-jackets :lol: ) although for their size they are quite tough little customers. Hope this helps :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back