Floating Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for floating plants? They seem like an easier alternative to plants planted on the ground.

I like water spangles a lot, and duckweed absolutely thrives in most of my tanks. Some people consider duckweed a pest plant, though. Both hornwort and anacharis can be left floating, as well as water sprite. I occasionally use Java moss as a floating plant.

Frogbit is great but it doesn't like too much flow. Duckweed is bomb proof. Probably nuclear bomb proof. Limnophila sessiliflora is a nice stem plant option, I prefer it to elodea densa as that looks quite messy and doesn't always stay afloat

Hornwort & Anacharis
Float or plant or tuck into/under rocks, sticks, etc.
Great little tank cleaners, too. You can tell by the roots and growth that they are working hard ☆

Frogbit is great but it doesn't like too much flow. Duckweed is bomb proof. Probably nuclear bomb proof. Limnophila sessiliflora is a nice stem plant option, I prefer it to elodea densa as that looks quite messy and doesn't always stay afloat
Sir Fancypants Hater-of-Duckweed would like us to look stuff up...?

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It grows well on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate if you get too much.

@mbsqw1d
Okay, you got me to learn something new
Thanks
☆☆☆
Elodea densa. (Anacharis) 16165210528762767923205617902737.png
Limnophila sessiliflora
4b4f130edc6f14de681d2315783c8414.jpg

Okay, you got me to learn something new
Thanks
Lol I thought you meant look up whether there was evidence for duckweed being capable of surviving nuclear fallout

I think anacharis tends to be the US name? Its sold as Elodea in the shops here. I try and use their normal names when I know them lol like pennywort or whatever. Does sessiliflora have a normal name?

Lol I thought you meant look up whether there was evidence for duckweed being capable of surviving nuclear fallout

I think anacharis tends to be the US name? Its sold as Elodea in the shops here. I try and use their normal names when I know them lol like pennywort or whatever. Does sessiliflora have a normal name?
Not sure about sessiliflora. Okay, I think it's Ambulia, I don't recal seeing it, but if it's expensive I probably blocked it.....it is apparently similar to cabomba...which is readily available here in Dallas, Texas, and inexpensive, because I have some.
?
Whew, aquatic plant leason overload!

Yeah, duckweed and MTS.

Here ia a love song for these two...
Wait for it....

Not sure about sessiliflora. Okay, I think it's Ambulia, I don't recal seeing it, but if it's expensive I probably blocked it.....it is apparently similar to cabomba...which is readily available here in Dallas, Texas, and inexpensive, because I have some.
?
Whew, aquatic plant leason overload!

Yeah, duckweed and MTS.

Here ia a love song for these two...
Wait for it....
Screenshot_20210323_181617_com.android.chrome_edit_328769388958166.jpg

?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back