Floating Plants

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

DancingBetta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
My betta is feeling stressed right now, and I was told to get floating plants. Twenty gallon tank with a betta and some Cory cats. What are the best, and hopefully pretty (and hopefully easy to find) plants that bettas love?
Thanks!

I haven’t kept bettas in about 15 years, but I currently am floating frogbit, hornwort and wisteria, the hornwort and wisteria can both be planted in the substrate when they grow some roots.

fast growing in a low light low tech tank

Maybe some water lettuce? Make sure you have general ferts and you will be good, betta will like to play in roots of frogbjt and water lettuce!

Lots of good recommendations. I can't add anymore on the plant suggestions, but as well as plants, having a background on the tank (incase you haven't already) will help massively, also having the tank set up away from doorways and heavy foot traffic areas. My bettas use their coconut huts frequently to take cover in too :)

Lots of good recommendations. I can't add anymore on the plant suggestions, but as well as plants, having a background on the tank (incase you haven't already) will help massively, also having the tank set up away from doorways and heavy foot traffic areas. My bettas use their coconut huts frequently to take cover in too :)
My betta is by a door... (sorry) but he seems to like people. Whenever someone comes in he swims right up to them.

My betta is by a door... (sorry) but he seems to like people. Whenever someone comes in he swims right up to them.
They're like puppies aren't they! I have a few tanks in an alcove in my living room which is in a foot traffic area. I reckon that because I have house plants next to their tanks aswell as plants inside, its enough cover for them to feel secure. Aslong as they have plenty of cover, they're usually fine. Just try things and monitor the behaviour :)

What are the least messy floating plants - by least messy I mean they don't make all this "pills" or "seeds' or whatever they are that cover your entire arm and constantly clog up you filters? I think I have had something like frogbit or any one of the "bits" and they are responsible for clogging up my filter several times a day. I have a number of fish - all of them actually - that feel much safer when there are floating plants but other than "Water lettuce" which sounds like something my fish would eat rather than float in I have no idea what to get. PH i exactly 7 because I always adjust my PH to exactly 7 before I add the water to the tank. Naturally my tap water is 9.4. GH is 140-246 ppm, KH is 46-136 based on my city water report. Mine used to fall right in the middle of those values - I spent a couple hours earlier today looking for my GH and KH test kits - I also need to retest the water in two of my aquariums as well as test my 90 gallon tank as soon as I put water in it (I finally figured out the canister filter - sort of - the water hose for input and output had to be kind of rigged to say in place due to the normal wide width of the overhang on any large acrylic tank, Canister filters makers like Fluval, don't seem to offer any suggestions for how to fit hoses on acrylic tanks and acrylic tank builders don't seem to think of how aquarium equipment works and that the bigger the tank the more likely it is to use a canister filter. I only bought acrylic because I couldn't locate a 90 or 100 glass tank ANYWHERE- even used, and when I finally did find one there was not a stand or heavy table on the market that would fit it and I'm not a good enough carpenter to build a stand myself. Power tools scare me. My other stands are my deceased husband's old dressers which are perfect for up to 50 gallon tanks. I love having all those drawers too.

One tank recently had an ammonia spike (dead fish in the filter) while my DoJo tank showed zero Ammonia and zero Nitrates but really high Nitrites- that to me sounds like it's decided to cycle again, I don't know what produces high nitrites. Anyway - I've been adding Prime every two days to both tanks until the values resolve themselves through the cycle. Both of these tanks were perfectly well cycled tanks (I used ammonia and went through an entire 6 week process - then I read about bottles of bacteria which can speed things up), I'm getting ready to add water to my 90 gallon tank along with some good bottled bacteria - but I don't trust the media in the current 50 gallon DoJO tank (they are going to the 90 gallon so they have enough room) - because I have had that constant white water problem and don't want to risk bringing to the 90 gallon tank by using ANYTHING from the DoJO tank except the DoJo's. If I still have white water I am literally throwing in the towel on freshwater fish keeping and will focus solely on my saltwater tank I'm getting started. I'll give away my fresh water fish and tanks or something, After spending over $1,000 to make life better for 4 - $10 fish that I love - if it doesn't work and I see white water again, I give up. I have had white water nearly constantly for every week except 2 in the last year. No idea why. The dojo's get depressed and don't play when their water is too white.

Anyway - my only question is good, non-messy floating plants. I know some good planted plants but the DoJo'a will pull them out of the ground EVERY day. They are like toddlers and the tank needs to be DoJo proof

What are the least messy floating plants - by least messy I mean they don't make all this "pills" or "seeds' or whatever they are that cover your entire arm and constantly clog up you filters? I think I have had something like frogbit or any one of the "bits" and they are responsible for clogging up my filter several times a day. I have a number of fish - all of them actually - that feel much safer when there are floating plants but other than "Water lettuce" which sounds like something my fish would eat rather than float in I have no idea what to get. PH i exactly 7 because I always adjust my PH to exactly 7 before I add the water to the tank. Naturally my tap water is 9.4. GH is 140-246 ppm, KH is 46-136 based on my city water report. Mine used to fall right in the middle of those values - I spent a couple hours earlier today looking for my GH and KH test kits - I also need to retest the water in two of my aquariums as well as test my 90 gallon tank as soon as I put water in it (I finally figured out the canister filter - sort of - the water hose for input and output had to be kind of rigged to say in place due to the normal wide width of the overhang on any large acrylic tank, Canister filters makers like Fluval, don't seem to offer any suggestions for how to fit hoses on acrylic tanks and acrylic tank builders don't seem to think of how aquarium equipment works and that the bigger the tank the more likely it is to use a canister filter. I only bought acrylic because I couldn't locate a 90 or 100 glass tank ANYWHERE- even used, and when I finally did find one there was not a stand or heavy table on the market that would fit it and I'm not a good enough carpenter to build a stand myself. Power tools scare me. My other stands are my deceased husband's old dressers which are perfect for up to 50 gallon tanks. I love having all those drawers too.

One tank recently had an ammonia spike (dead fish in the filter) while my DoJo tank showed zero Ammonia and zero Nitrates but really high Nitrites- that to me sounds like it's decided to cycle again, I don't know what produces high nitrites. Anyway - I've been adding Prime every two days to both tanks until the values resolve themselves through the cycle. Both of these tanks were perfectly well cycled tanks (I used ammonia and went through an entire 6 week process - then I read about bottles of bacteria which can speed things up), I'm getting ready to add water to my 90 gallon tank along with some good bottled bacteria - but I don't trust the media in the current 50 gallon DoJO tank (they are going to the 90 gallon so they have enough room) - because I have had that constant white water problem and don't want to risk bringing to the 90 gallon tank by using ANYTHING from the DoJO tank except the DoJo's. If I still have white water I am literally throwing in the towel on freshwater fish keeping and will focus solely on my saltwater tank I'm getting started. I'll give away my fresh water fish and tanks or something, After spending over $1,000 to make life better for 4 - $10 fish that I love - if it doesn't work and I see white water again, I give up. I have had white water nearly constantly for every week except 2 in the last year. No idea why. The dojo's get depressed and don't play when their water is too white.

Anyway - my only question is good, non-messy floating plants. I know some good planted plants but the DoJo'a will pull them out of the ground EVERY day. They are like toddlers and the tank needs to be DoJo proof
non messy: water lettuce, red root floater, frogbit,
not really floaters
but all the floating stem plants arent messy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back