Flat, Round Fish?

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NY, USA
Last general stocking question - I mean it. :rolleyes: Narrowing down, finally, what I want in my 55 gallon. I love the look of fish like discus - flat and round. The fish I know of that have that look are discus (I don't have the experience I think, to keep these well), angel fish (possibility), silver dollars (too skittish for me), severums (oh how I'd love a sev - don't think I can have 2, or even 1, in a 55g), to some extent gouramis (ehhh), and something else I can't think of now.

My question is, what other fish that I haven't mentioned, or probably don't even know about, are shaped like that and suitable for living in a 55 gallon. Doesn't have to be small fish - as long as I can keep at least a pair plus some bottom dwellers, I'm okay. I don't want, though, real shy or skittish, like I keep reading silver dollars are.

Suggestions are most welcome! Thank you!
 
(edited, twit was for the deleted post above)

I can't really think of of any other fish you haven't covered... but I think you can have one sev in that tank. Just one though... I'd double check in new worlds
 
Thanks for the edit NinjaSmurf, ya beat me to it!
 
I thought sevs needed 75 gal?

Possibly a pink kissing gourami? only 1 though.
Angels would work well depending on what other fish are present in the tank.

Andy
 
Depending on the Pink Kissing Gorurami. One species, that's rare to see in the trade, would be OK, the other two species will get waaayyy too big :sad:

Uaru are round and flat, but I don't know much about them other than they are a Cichlid...

All the best
Rabbut
 
Thats why I wasnt too sure rabbut regarding the pink kissing gourami, I thought there were 2 kinds but everywhere I look on google, all the different sites are only suggesting minimum tank size of 20-40 gals? :S

Andy
 
Uaru are round and flat, but I don't know much about them other than they are a Cichlid...

Uaru would be too big, 8-10" is a likely size with 12" being possible in a larger setup,

Colombian Tetras are fairly flat and round an get to a decent enough size too, a shoal of these with a couple of Angels could work,

Also A single Scat could be an option in a brackish setup, as would three Monos.
 
I'll take Davo's word for it on the Uaru's, as said above, I know little about them :nod:

Colombian Tetras and Angels together is not advisable IMO. You seen how nippy Colombian Tetras are when they get going? Loverly fish, but cannot safely be kept with anything with long flowing fins IME :sad:
 
I'll take Davo's word for it on the Uaru's, as said above, I know little about them :nod:

Colombian Tetras and Angels together is not advisable IMO. You seen how nippy Colombian Tetras are when they get going? Loverly fish, but cannot safely be kept with anything with long flowing fins IME :sad:

Really? I've never had any problems with them tbh,
with Buenos airies, Flame and Serpae for example I would totally agree but I've kept Colombians for a while now with a big variety of fish and not had a single problem

I currently have 7 with two big male Aplocheilus lineatus which have long colourful fins and have in the past kept them with 3 Angels
 
Black Widow tetras, while not round like discus, do have quite a rounded shape, and you could have a nice school of 15 or so in a 55 gallon.
 
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I appreciate it a lot.

Honeythorn - black widow tetras (I know them as black skirt tetras I think?), and their white counterparts, are ones that I'm looking seriously at. I know they often dye/tattoo the white skirts (no thanks, no way), but I just saw pale blue and pale pink ones that are supposed to be natural, too. Nice looking fish! Thing is, they've a rep as fin nippers, so keeping with angels would be a no-no I assume. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again all!
 
I'll put it this way, I would not put Black Widow Tetras in with Angels myself. The Blue and Pink forms are dyed as far as I'm aware. When we get them as substites for stuff the supplier didn't have at work (we never intentionally order dyed fish), the come in in a real state with chemical burns. Almost always indicative of a dying process :sad:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top