Flashing in my female molly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I recently found out that Watson is now Emma... lol but I have always noticed some flashing from her every now and then. It wasnā€™t consistent, it doesnā€™t happen every day. Maybe two times a week but i just want to know if she is showing off or not.

I use AQAdvisor stocking calculator, Iā€™ve gotten the hang of taking care of the water quality too. But it says Iā€™m not overstocked or anything.

I use the testing strips and everything looks great, i just donā€™t know the ammonia but since none of the other fish are doing this and my tank has been cycled I am thinking she has an itch, itā€™s ich, or sheā€™s just showing off.

Water parameters:
pH: 7.4
Temp: 77
nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 13ppm

filter: top fin power filter 10 (Iā€™m gonna add extra filter media tomorrow, some sponge filter media)

ammonia I am really strong is 0 because of the others behaviors and the plants I have in there!

Circulation is great- plenty of oxygen and air bubbles.

I recently found out that Watson is now Emma... lol but I have always noticed some flashing from her every now and then. It wasnā€™t consistent, it doesnā€™t happen every day. Maybe two times a week but i just want to know if she is showing off or not.

I use AQAdvisor stocking calculator, Iā€™ve gotten the hang of taking care of the water quality too. But it says Iā€™m not overstocked or anything.

I use the testing strips and everything looks great, i just donā€™t know the ammonia but since none of the other fish are doing this and my tank has been cycled I am thinking she has an itch, itā€™s ich, or sheā€™s just showing off.

Water parameters:
pH: 7.4
Temp: 77
nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 13ppm

filter: top fin power filter 10 (Iā€™m gonna add extra filter media tomorrow, some sponge filter media)

ammonia I am really strong is 0 because of the others behaviors and the plants I have in there!

Circulation is great- plenty of oxygen and air bubbles.
testing strips are known to be innacurate. does she just do it one time? if its just one time its fine. fish do that naturally if theyre itchy. photos? also no ich is white spot disease not having an itch lol

testing strips are known to be innacurate. does she just do it one time? if its just one time its fine. fish do that naturally if theyre itchy. photos? also no ich is white spot disease not having an itch lol
Oh okay, I read it could be a sign of ich.

She only does it like a couple of times and then stops for days and then does it again.

Oh okay, I read it could be a sign of ich.

She only does it like a couple of times and then stops for days and then does it again.
its fine, let me know if you see anything strange. they can do it for a few seconds in a week

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 101
My pregnant platy was doing the exact same thing. I moved her to a separate tank where there are no other fish and she stopped pretty quickly after that. Flashing can be a sign of stress or, as Sgooosh said, itchiness. I've heard that fish will sometimes rub against plants to groom their slime coat as well.

My pregnant platy was doing the exact same thing. I moved her to a separate tank where there are no other fish and she stopped pretty quickly after that. Flashing can be a sign of stress or, as Sgooosh said, itchiness. I've heard that fish will sometimes rub against plants to groom their slime coat as well.
She sometimes rubs on the plants too. She might be a little stressed because I had a bullying situation. Sometimes my mollies get a bit aggressive. Could that be it?

My female platy does it sometimes as well, just as often so I am wondering if they are both pregnant? Does my molly I showed you guys look like she might be getting pregnant?

She sometimes rubs on the plants too. She might be a little stressed because I had a bullying situation. Sometimes my mollies get a bit aggressive. Could that be it?

My female platy does it sometimes as well, just as often so I am wondering if they are both pregnant? Does my molly I showed you guys look like she might be getting pregnant?
yes kind of pregnant

She looks like she may be pregnant. The silver sheen I always look for doesn't seem to be present, but pregnancy is a possibility.

She looks like she may be pregnant. The silver sheen I always look for doesn't seem to be present, but pregnancy is a possibility.
And that would cause her to stress out and flash? And she has a bit of silver sheen on her. Same as my platy but my platy has ALWAYS had a silver sheen so I am so confused about her issue lol

I don't know much about mollies so I don't want to give you bad advice. However, it is always a good idea to keep an eye on your fish especially when they are behaving differently. Keep an eye out for her and continue to keep us posted!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back