Flaring Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was wondering how old are betta before they start to flare? Is it even an age thing? My other betta never really flared and I just was messing around with Fezzik trying to make him flare and he wouldn't (though I didn't have a mirror so maybe that's why). Do some betta's just not like to flare?

Not sure about the age, but usually mirrors get the best results.

Bettas will flare as early as really young juvie stage.  Some bettas don't flare.  Just goes with their personalities.  Some only flare at reflections, some only at other fish, and some only at other males/females and not the opposite.  I suggest you get a small mirror and see how "he" does with it.  Letting your betta flare a little bit every day or so is healthy for them -- basically exercise.  :)

My betta flares ALL THE TIME! He used to not do it, but I suppose as he got older (he's about a year old now) he started to do it more? I'm not entirely sure but I do know that if they start forming bubble nests, they'll become more territorial and begin to flare. Each betta has their own personality. Maybe yours is just more docile!

A healthy, happy betta will feel more comfortable showing dominance (flaring). What size tank do you have? Do you have a filter? Any plants or hiding places? Is the water the appropriate temperature (78-80 degrees)? Well fed (at least once a day)?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back