Fishy Treats

Lets see here (cracks knuckles loudly):

Products from tetra:
Tetra Color, TetraMin, BettaMin

Products from Wardley:
Wardley Algae Wafers

Products from San Francisco Bay Brand:
Freeze dried blood worms

Products from Marineland:
Goldfish Biospira

Stuff from me:
Mango, peas, sardine (at least once) carrot(snails like it) live brine shrimp, copepods(the grow in the tank) and then there are various other things I cannot bring to mind.
 
Are there any "many year" experienced aquarists who feed, say, just flakes? Or do all the experienced ones take the "treat" / "nutritional diet" / "variety" approach seriously?

~~waterdrop~~

????? Who dosent take it seriously? First off, flakes are not the most effective method of getting nutrients to your fish. The second it hits the water, nutrients start to leak out. Also, lets say my favorite food was pizza ( its one of them). I get tired of eating pizza about about the 4th time in a row. Your fish are, in effect, eating pizza every single day of their lives. Think how tired they are of it! Also, the goal of almost all fishkeepers to re-create their natural enviroment, and bring otut eh natural beauty of fish. Some people can afford to feed their food strictly frozen of live, but most cant. But we still try to do out best and get something they will enjoy when we can.
 
Are there any "many year" experienced aquarists who feed, say, just flakes? Or do all the experienced ones take the "treat" / "nutritional diet" / "variety" approach seriously?

~~waterdrop~~

????? Who dosent take it seriously? First off, flakes are not the most effective method of getting nutrients to your fish. The second it hits the water, nutrients start to leak out. Also, lets say my favorite food was pizza ( its one of them). I get tired of eating pizza about about the 4th time in a row. Your fish are, in effect, eating pizza every single day of their lives. Think how tired they are of it! Also, the goal of almost all fishkeepers to re-create their natural enviroment, and bring otut eh natural beauty of fish. Some people can afford to feed their food strictly frozen of live, but most cant. But we still try to do out best and get something they will enjoy when we can.

Exactly!
 
I'll be honest, people who compare human eating habits to fish eating habits are misleading themselves. They are fish. We are people. We have different wants and needs.

I think most fish can survive off a fairly simple diet but you do need to put some thought into what your fish need. Most of the fish in my cichlid tank go for a high protein diet, so they get more bloodworm, brine shrimp etc than anything else with some flake. With my pleco I make sure he has some cucumber every week or so. Most of my tanks are based on a standard flake diet though, with some vegetable matter and catfish pellets (which without question, every fish in every tank I have seems to go for) weekly and bloodworm as an occasional treat.

Its got nothing to do with whether they get bored of eating one sort of food - they'll eat what they're given and like it - its just practical balanced nutrition.
 
i feed mine lots of human food :blush: (i probably shouldn't)
i give them so many treats i can't list them all. the staple diet is bloodworms.
my rainbow shark LOVES peanut butter (explanes why he's so fat :lol: )
 
Holy crap!!! I have flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, and freeze dried blood worms. I give a small pinch of blood worms/brine shrimp to start the black skirts and penguins going nuts shooting to the top of the water and back down. Then I add 2 pinches of flakes for the neons, and the black skirts and penguins, once they see them! :P Every other day I switch between blood worms and brine shrimp, to keep them treated. Those are the treats, but the flakes are their main course. :P Gotta give those guys dessert first, or the neons dont get to eat!!!! lol

Once in a while, I hatch brine shrimp eggs, rinse them, and toss them in as a little snack... And I mean LITTLE! Can barely see them in the big tank, but the fish can. Looks like they are biting at nothing!! More for the neons, since they dont usually get the blood worms, since they float :( But they do get the freeze dried brine shrimp, once the others have disturbed the water enough to sink it :)
 
Anybody try feeding Hikari frozen squid to smaller fish, bettas, tetras, minnows, etc?
I've seen and considered it, but wasn't sure if suitable - and so many things seem to be messy things my fish aren't interested in.
But I can't think of a better group of people to ask...
 
i tend to feed mine a bit of whatever im eating (within reason) Jambo especially,he has a staple diet of cichlid pellets,prawns,shrimp,peas, then for a treat i will give him, bit of banana,cod from a fish finger (100%) bit of squished pear,spinach,tuna in spring water, bloodworm... anything natural really, he hated banana when i first gave it to him, but seems ok with it now,and anything he dosent eat the plec that shares a tank eats.. the only thing i have never given him is my favorite food in the world.. crunchy nut cornflakes :lol: and i dont think he`d be very impressed with those anyway. :rolleyes:


shelagh xxx
 
Jambo's sounding less like an Oscar and more like a hoover...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top