Fishless Cycle - What Happens If You Miss A Few Days?

Tropical_Fish

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
423
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Staffordshire
I was planning to start my fishless cycle at the weekend - providing I get the last few bits ready.

But then it dawned on me that 2 weeks later I'm going away for 5 days, my sister will be coming to feed the cat etc once a day, does it sound like getting her to test the water and add ammonia etc is going to be too difficult?

Would the bacteria die off over 5 days without ammonia?

Could I just tell my sister to put a set amount of ammonia in each day (no testing) just to keep the bacteria alive - then sort everything out when I get back?

Don't really want to wait 3 weeks to start the cycle!
 
Yes, just get your sister to ad the set amount of ammonia for five days. It takes up to 6 weeks for the fishless cycle so you can carry on when you return. Have a good hols
 
I just got back off holiday, i just abandoned it for a week as i had no-one to put ammonia in, there werent any negative effects just, i was processing 5ppm of ammonia in 15 hours, now im processing in 18 or 19 hours.

Other than slowing down by a couple of hours, nothing bad happened. I had a bit of algae because i have 2wpg light and my co2 ran out.
 
The further into the cycle you are, the less effect a break will have, because the bacteria become more robust as the colony matures.

If the cycle is only 2 weeks in, you may find that it will be set back quite considerably if you just leave it with no ammonia additions. A cycle which is 6 weeks in for instance, would be much less prone to setback.

I'd say asking someone responsible to add it for you is the best option.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
Bacteria dies off at 5-10% per 24 hours without ammonia. Just put some flake food in their and allow it to rot this will provide a low steady amount of ammonia release and should pause the cycle until you get back with minimal loss.
 
Thanks for all the advice,

I like the idea of just putting flake food into rot, as that saves the need of explaining it all to my sister and she's doing enough coming round to my house to sort the cat out etc.

When you say put "some" flake food in - how much would you recommend for 5 days without ammonia? (it's a 70 litre tank) Also will it leave any mess that I need to clean up on my return?

Many thanks
 
It will leave a mess but this can be easily picked up with a gravel vaccuum. I have no idea how much I would just chuck in a pinch its not really an exact thing as you just want to stall the cycle, doubt the cycle will progress much in such conditions.

You could have it cycled and stocked within those two weeks though if you get some media from another member
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=150631
 
I've been through that list but all the closest ones either haven't been on for months or they can't accept PM's. I did manage to get a PM through to one member but I haven't heard back yet.

There isn't anyone really close so I will need to get it posted, but if any of you have any you could donate, I'd be happy to be pay for postage - just let me know!
 
I kept a 6.5 gall tank going for 5 days with about a golf ball size of food pellets in a pair of tights. I would advise putting it in a few days before you go so it's rotting well :)
I have to do this again in a couple of weeks time as the cycle still hasn't finished and I'm away again.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top