Fishless Cycle Officaially Over!

cheerycherry

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I did a week of my "proving" that all was fine in my tank after the fishless cycle and this mornings was perfect readings and did a large change yesterday to get the nitrates down so today I finally went out to purchase some cichlids woooot :good:

Anyway my lfs would only sell me 4 fish :unsure: I explained to her I did a fishless cycle and had a week of 0 ammonia and nitrites etc and told her this mornings water stats and size of tank and she would only let me have 4 fish? I Really wanted to get my synodontis but she wouldnt let me and said id have to wait a minimum of 2 weeks before I could purchase anymore???

I thought the point of a fishless cycle was so you could add a few fish at a time or am I wrong on that? My main concern is I have a male and female (not sure what they are) and the male is already hassling the female chasing her into the rock caves :unsure: ive left the lights off to help but you can still see him doing it now I know this is to be expected with cichlids and you need to overstock to help with aggresssion but how am I going to do that when my lfs will only sell me a few every few weeks?

Happy to finally have my fish but very confused.
 
I did a week of my "proving" that all was fine in my tank after the fishless cycle and this mornings was perfect readings and did a large change yesterday to get the nitrates down so today I finally went out to purchase some cichlids woooot :good:

Anyway my lfs would only sell me 4 fish :unsure: I explained to her I did a fishless cycle and had a week of 0 ammonia and nitrites etc and told her this mornings water stats and size of tank and she would only let me have 4 fish? I Really wanted to get my synodontis but she wouldnt let me and said id have to wait a minimum of 2 weeks before I could purchase anymore???

I thought the point of a fishless cycle was so you could add a few fish at a time or am I wrong on that? My main concern is I have a male and female (not sure what they are) and the male is already hassling the female chasing her into the rock caves :unsure: ive left the lights off to help but you can still see him doing it now I know this is to be expected with cichlids and you need to overstock to help with aggresssion but how am I going to do that when my lfs will only sell me a few every few weeks?

Happy to finally have my fish but very confused.
Are there any other 'LFS' around?

They may see a different point of view and sell you some more cichilids..

If not just tell a white lie..

D.
 
There is one other lfs near me but everytime ive been in there they had quite a few dead fish and a few ive seen which look like they have ich so i dont really want to take the risk.Also i have a cadbury garden centre near me but they have 2 tanks with cichids but mostly all the same ones and not even that many.

The one I like is maidenhead aquatics tanks are so well looked after and they have some lovely synodontis there but of course now they know me I cant fib about it and they have a huge range of cichlids.Just a bit peeved with it to be honest
 
Tell them you got another tank and the fish will be going in the other tank. Thats what I did when my LPS wouldn't let me put swordtails and tetras in the same tank. But of course they went in the same tank when I got home.
 
yeah could do I guess.just thought they would have preferred me to get a few to curb the aggression
 
Once you have fish in your tank, it is best to take your stocking slowly. The LFS may be a bit heavy handed in their approach but I would rather deal there than with one that would give me anything I ask for with no comments. It sounds like they want you to be successful and thus keep coming back for years rather than make a big sale once. I think they deserve your thanks for that.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top