Fish you'd like to see less of...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ah, Sorry then.. lol I just woke up my mind muse of changed the words lol

id sharks - very few people have adequate tanks for them.

pacu - same as above

I guess I do get bored with seeing 655949541 tanks full of tetras.

Badly marked up Puffers.

At a lfs there is a tank of Fig 8s that it has labelled up as not suitable for small tank mates. Mentions nothing of their brackish requirements... :/

Silver sharks is another. So many are sold in singles to people with 30 gallon tanks (like my first :*) ). I doubt many are then introduced to three friends in a 6 foot tank like Sharky was lucky enough to be...

I would like ot see less of the more demanding/aggressive/predatory of the catfish sold as "catfish" too... :S

Hi,

I get cross when I see multi buy deals on fish that you shouldn't have more than one of in a tank.Or at least no information about the numbers you can keep together and the size tanks required.

Sam
xl

If they asked the fishkeeper the size of there tank first, they might not be so many problems, i'm sick of seeing fish like bala sharks, and clown loaches put in small tanks, and if the lfs would recommend to fishkeepers that they quarantine them first before adding them to the tank, and I also would like to see less goldfish sold.

Actually i agree there are too many clown loachs, my lfs stocks them all the time at about 3inchs long and they are very mis-leading at that size since they already look like adult fish at 3inchs long...

although my opinions on the real issue here have been stated in SirMinions linked topic i was annoyed the other week when my collegue at work sold a Rekord 96 as an ideal tank for a silver shark.

he hadn't mentioned there shoaling fish or grow too big for that tank and when she cam eback with a water sample i spent quite some time with here explaining what sharks or shark like fish she could have....lucky she listened to me really but i find it imbarassing when put in situations like that. He's only out to sell most of the time which really bother me.

I am sick of seeing the folloing at my lfs

1. Tetras, half of the community fish area is of boring old regular tetras. Some times they have nice ones, like diamonds, but usually neons and the like

2. Livebearers

3. Those ugly boring grey and urine yellow african cichlids, that is the hole other half of the store

3. Those ugly boring grey and urine yellow african cichlids, that is the hole other half of the store

:lol:

i work at one and for sure i can say that getting rid of large growing misleading fish really wouldnt help, its usually the job of a fish store to tell the ppl and strongly recommend suitable housing for the fish they supply. plus having such fish gives other more experienced fish keepers more of a variety to choose from...
not having a go:p just stating an opinion :p

but anyways id like to see less of neon tetras ... they just die too easy

well said Vixen!!

if all large growing fish were taken out of shops and made less availible, there would be no point me wondering around the shops looking for new big fish.

shop staff need to advise people better and people need to research more.

If the fish shop gives adequate advice, then only truly massive fish shouldnt be stocked (ones that grow to over 1m etc.)

The only fish that i think doesnt need stocking is Goldfish. Fine in the pond section but i dont see why we have them for sale for aquaria, as most people have no where near the requirements.

At work today a woman got in a huff with me because i refused to sell her 3 Goldfish for her Biorb which already has 1 in it. She said "oh but ive kept Goldfish in bowls before" and "Theres nothing wrong with it" She wouldnt take the advice i had to give her so i just told her i would refuse to sell her fish if she wasnt prepared to listen to proper advice...

Ben

Nice one Ben, gets tiring telling people over and over doesn't it.

had one load of people come in over the weekend they had bought a tank from somewhere and asked for pond fish.

they started asking for random fish including Ghost koi, on which i always check the ponds over 500 gals at which point they tell me it's a tank and then the the snotty litle 8-10yr old says it said it can have 8 fish :rolleyes:

when i told them only fancy goldfish would be suitable they didn't like them and walked out the shop, so will probable get them else where.

Most reactions

Back