Fish you'd like to see less of...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
As the title suggests, what fish that get regually stocked in your lfs that you'd like to see less of?
Most problems that newb's experience with fish stocking come down to the lfs which sold them the fish in the first place; its all fair and well telling them to do their own research but when it comes down to it there will always be somone who gets sold a bad fish for their tank.
This is where i start, i believe there would be far less people in fish keeping who end up messing up because of fish they were sold if there were less of particular fish in the first place.
I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions on this lots, personally i think there are far to many CAE's(chinese algae eaters or sucking loachs) stocked and sold- they are problem fish which can cause much disaster to a tank and im sure not everyone who buys them has a empty 20gal tank to put them in.
I also think there are too many common and sailfin plecs sold- they isn't much wrong with them apart from their size and practically everyone i know who has or has had one, hasn't had the space for it when its reach's max size. What i don't get about these plecs is there are plenty of much smaller plecs available so why don't people sell more of these?
What do you guys think?

Chinese algae eaters would definitely be the one I would like to see less of. Painful memories there. :(
In fact, I wonder about this whole idea sold to all beginners that every tank has got to have an algae eater? Does it? How do people manage who keep species tanks? Algae eaters and scavengers are sold as an essential item, on a par with filters and dechlorinators.
This time, not having the room for a pleco nor any affection left for CAE's, I am going to try to manage without. I only keep corys because I want them. If I can clear up after the rest of the family, I don't see that the fish tanks should defeat me! You should see the children's bedroom!
If you don't hear from me again you will know that I was wrong and that I have been submerged in the murky depths....

Lol :D
I think one of the problems/myths of fish keeping is that you have to have an algae eater to keep your tank clean but in fact many algae eaters like plecs just produce alot of waste while others simply are not suitable for community tanks or need alot of special attention/care.

I wish they would stop selling tiny little oscars and selling them to anyone, even if they don't have big enough tanks and not enough time to properly care for them
CAE's too, I got tricked when I first started and now I'm stuck with two ugly big monsters.

I agree about oscars too, i get so many large and fast growing cichlids at my lfs and they are very misleading to newb's i think because my lfs always stocks them as 1inch babys giving no indication of how big some of them can grow...
I would also like to see less angels too...

My lfs just stocks so many of them- like every week, and they are not the best community fish from what i've heard and need at least a 20gal; my lfs stocks baby angels in 10gals.

on the other hand i would like to see less fancy goldfish, livebearers, tetras, gouramai....i hate them all!!

So you guys want to have less of these fish, the people who just buy them without doing any research will still do what they are already doing anyway. So now people like us who actually have some idea what they are doing can't get any of those fish you suggested.

Also the only way for the LFS to know what you are doing is they ask you, what do you want them to do come to your house and make sure you have the required stuff and the correct size tank. lol

I'd like to see MUCH less of the painted glassfish and tetras and everything else thats artificially colored!!

That one I agree with ravekiss they is no need to harm fish like that. They are already plenty of good looking fish. :)

I'd like to see less mbuna cichlids in mixed tanks and no positive IDs on them.

StarOrbs said:
So you guys want to have less of these fish, the people who just buy them without doing any research will still do what they are already doing anyway. So now people like us who actually have some idea what they are doing can't get any of those fish you suggested.

Also the only way for the LFS to know what you are doing is they ask you, what do you want them to do come to your house and make sure you have the required stuff and the correct size tank. lol
My point is that there are far too many of these fish being sold in the first place; im not asking for a down-right ban on them, just reduce the numbers!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back