Fish Tank On First Floor?

Fowlersrs

New Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Whats the biggest sensible size fish tank I could have in a modern new build first floor flat front room? Its wooden joisted floor with chipboard as the floor, now to me obviously it would make sense to have the tank running the opposite way to the joists if it where say a 4ft tank so that the weight would be spread over say 3 joists and not run it parrallell....

but what size in terms of water gallonage would be a concern for safety, im sure there are hundreds of members in here maybe with tanks upstairs in a house, so maybe u could shead some light on this, obviously I want the biggest tank I can get but I dont want it going through the floor to below!!

any ideas guys?
 
well im a architectural technologist student so have done all kinds of stuff in terms of structural engineering etc..

as long as the base of the tank or stand is flat to spread the weight and that you have got the tank spread over 3 joists then you would be completely fine. remember 1litre of water equals 1kg.

potentially you could have the tank weighing upto a ton and provided its not on stilts and its on a flat base you would be fine. and have it as clos to a main loadbearing wall as possible.
 
I have a 90 gallon in my second floor apartment and so far so good. :lol:


I would definitley consider getting a contractor into your house to check your floors. Remember, a gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs. Add water, gravel and the rest of your accessories, and a 50 gallon tank could easily weigh 500 lbs.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top