Fish Stocking 120L

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishywishy333

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am saving up for a new 120 litre tank. I am wondering what I should stock it with. I was leaning towards community.They would have to be hardy fish that will get along with each other. I was thinking 2 species of shoaling fish (need suggestions) some cories, some guppies, some guppies and maybe a German ram. If you guys could give me some stocking ideas that would be great.

I am going to get two hang-on-back filters that will do 1200 litres per hour together which means optimum filtration .

Hope you can help and thanks in advance. :)

how about a group of rummynose and a group of cardinal tetras then a group of panda cory and a single ram, a pair would need more space

Hi - as nice as they are Blue Rams can be incredibly hard to keep - in the right kind of set up though it is possible and they can really thrive but you would have to skip the Guppies as they are quite the opposite of what is needed.

120 liters or 30 gallons is more than enough for a pair with other fish though :)

To do this you would need to have the heater set to at least 28c and hopefully have a ph of around 6.8 if its higher than that there are plenty of natural materials you can use now to lower it to the right range like Alder Cones and Almond Leaves. The stocking would look something like this.

2 Blue Rams (or Gold, Super Red, Electric Blue, Liliac, Red Head Electric Blues etc)
10 Rummy Nose Tetras
10 Sterbai Cories
2 L333 plecs

Which will thrive in that kind of set up.

OR if you want to go for a more general community - look at a different Dwarf Cichlid :)

2-4 x Bolivain Rams, Laetacara Curviceps, Laetacara Dorsigera, Checkerboard Cichlids, Apistogrammas  etc
5 Guppies (I would go all male to prevent excessive breeding)
10 Pristella Tetras
8 Panda Cories

Tons of other options though :) depends what you like :)

Wills

Thank you to both of you, excellent ideas from Wills. I think the second option sounds great! :)

Are you sure the Bolivian ram/ apistogramma ect. cichlid will be ok with the guppies? I worry the cichlid will nip their tails :/

I have not had that combination, so I can't say for definite, but my gut feeling is that you will be fine. My Agassizii Apistos are very peaceful little fish, they don't go after my Dwarf Gourami (it's more the other way around). If there's any tail nipping of the guppies, it's more likely to be another guppy that's doing it.

Yeah I agree with TLM :) I think they will be in such different areas of the tank they will rarely cross.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back