Fish Species

Ally555

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Australia
Hey everyone.
I have had fish since about May (had a 30 litre tank) and a couple of months ago I got a 90 litre tank. I got given two fish by a friend that look kinda like comets (goldfish), but they are tropical. They are not orange like goldfish, but their body shape ect is the same. I've tried to find out what species they are but haven't had any luck. I thought they could possibly be uncoloured goldfish, cos their a goldish brown colour, but that still doesn't answer why their tropical.
My cousin had four goldfish that he apparently turned into tropical fish by raising the temp in the tank slowly.

Is that possible?
And do you think that might have happened to my fish before I got them?

Please help!!
 
Goldfish start out bronze and can go white, orange, black or any combination of these colours. The fish could be bronze comet goldfish but without a picture it is impossible to say for certain.

Goldfish are considered coldwater fish because they can live in cold water. They will also live happily in warm water, ie: tropical tanks. The more fancy varieties like fantails and moors do better in warm water than cold.
Tropical fish on the other hand must be kept in warm water and will not tolerate cold.
Most goldfish are bred in tropical Asia where it is warm all year round.
 
if they are comets, you will need a big tank if you want to keep them tropical. these guys not only grow to around 20 inches, they are filthy eaters and s****rs and need large amounts of Oxygen. all these things mean they need a bigger tank than you may think. i am afraid that 30L does not even make an appearance in the possible tanks, same goes for 90L, for even one of theses. things get worse if you want to keep them tropical, as the temperature gets higher the water holds less O2. if you want to keep them tropical 90ukg, wide, is about the size you need. but to be honest its not that much smaller if you keep them temperate, 60-70ukg.
 
If you want to keep them then either get a bigger tank or a fish pond. If you don't want them, ring a fish shop and see if they will take them off you in exchange for some credit. Then use the credit to get some plants or different fish.
 
hard one that, you could try to place them with another member of this forum, see buy,sell and swap section. first thing is to find out, just, what they are unless you euthanise them, you will need to know!
 
I would keep them if it was possible, but buying a bigger tank or a fish pond is not possible.
Should I call a pet shop?
 
Most petshops will take fish in exchange for credit, assuming the fish are healthy. Give the local shop a call and see if they can take them either today or during the next week. If the shop has space they will usually take them straight away but if they have just had fish come in, you might have to wait a week until they have some more room.
 
I would keep them if it was possible, but buying a bigger tank or a fish pond is not possible.
Should I call a pet shop?

If i was you i would rather put an advert on here in the buy and sell section with a picture if possible and your location stating how much you want for them wether they be free or whatever
at least you know they should be going to a keen fish keeper instead when you give them to a pet shop you never know who's going to get them .
Maybe put a note in your local newsagents window saying that you have fish for a pond ONLY and maybe someone local can rehome them in their pond .

good luck ;)
Sarah xx
 
Hey again
If the go into a pond will they die cos of the temperature?
They are in 26 degree centigrate water now. I don't want them going into a pond if they will just die from the cold. :unsure:
 
I gave my two comets to the LFS today.

I didn't want to see them go but it's best for them if their not cramped and best for my other fish as the water quality will be better. :good:

Thanks for the help.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top