Fish species that do well with infrequent feeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

threecharacters

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 7 gallon, 12x12x12in cube (26 liter, 30x30x30cm cube) at my office that I'd like to get inhabitants for.

I'm planning on having some shrimp in the tank.
The tank is unheated, has a dirt-doped substrate, and will be well-planted.

I was thinking it would be nice to get some fish for it in addition to the shrimp. However, I only go to the office ~2 times a week these days. I could increase this to 3 days most likely. Whatever fish I get will need to do well getting fed only two-three days a week (supplemented with shrimplets?). I imagine that a small, low activity fish would be best, something like Hara jerdoni.

What species do you think would do best in this tank with infrequent feeding?

If you have lots of live plants in the tank, they will provide food for some fish and shrimp

I’d carry such a tiny tank back & forth. Or is there someone at the office who can look in on it?

Small tanks can suddenly--and I mean suddenly, overnight--fail and kill everything in them within a day. Leaving that significant issue aside...having soil immediately sets up issues that can kill the fish, and substrate fish are not a good idea.

On a more general note concerning fish feeding...all fish will manage very well with infrequent feedings. Some aquarists only feed alternate days, some only twice a week. Fry need more frequent feedings, but mature fish do not.

Small tanks can suddenly--and I mean suddenly, overnight--fail and kill everything in them within a day. Leaving that significant issue aside...having soil immediately sets up issues that can kill the fish, and substrate fish are not a good idea.

On a more general note concerning fish feeding...all fish will manage very well with infrequent feedings. Some aquarists only feed alternate days, some only twice a week. Fry need more frequent feedings, but mature fish do not.
Yes, this tank has already been set up for a few months and has stabilized nicely. The dirt is quite old, it was moved to this tank from some small planted bowls I had set up for over a year.

That's good to hear about feeding. I was under the impression that not all fish could handle that infrequent of feeding. For example, I believe rosy loaches need very regular feeding; they can fast when necessary like most fish, but it's not healthy long term.

I’d carry such a tiny tank back & forth. Or is there someone at the office who can look in on it?
Too much work, and nope. The tank might be small but it's still pretty heavy.

Most reactions

trending

Back