Fish 'Shed' Is under construction!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smithrc

My names Russell.... ....and I'm a
Reaction score
We're busy over the next few weekends so my dad said he'd come round today and we can start the shed :)

Well its of to a great start - and Boy is it bigger than I had pictured in my head!

Its 8ft x 10ft externally so it'll be a bit smaller on the inside but im not happy calling it a shed any more - Its a fish house :D

we started with the floor - everything else is built off of that :D
Its 3x2" timber at 400 centers, 70mm of foam insulation in the air gap, with 25mm chipboard over that.

The walls will be the same construction but with the plastic water proof membrane on the outside (as the outside is actually just the fence. The roof is going to be inulated with the same stuff (3x as good as normal fiberglass - the stuff in your loft) and then 10mm ply over the top with red felt shingles to finish it off.

The roof should be going on tomorrow along with the end pannels.

We need to get hold of the fencing company that is doing the fences round here as we're going to face it with the same wood as the fence.

My dad is a perfectionist and the whole thing is only 1mm bigger at one end and this is called a shed! (2980mm and 2981mm at the other)

anyway - after a very productive day this is what has been happening :)

I was helping, honest - I just stopped to take the pictures :)

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

shed3.jpg

shed4.jpg

shed5.jpg

shed6.jpg

shed7.jpg

Its even going to have gutters In a valley :*)

shed8.jpg

THAT IS WAY TOO COOL!
Omg
I am so jealous, although I would miss the 230 that is in our dining room. Adds that conversational piece (you know instead of the normal flowers on the tble and stuff)

Keep Us posted!
Looking good :kewlpics: :kewlpics: :kewlpics:

Eat in the fish house instead of the dining room...an entire fish house would be a pretty decent conversation piece!!!
Wow and WOW again!!
I am truly jealous! This is rapidly becoming a dream of mine.... :*) how much have you budgeted? :*)
I can't wait to see the pictures when all is completed!
It looks like it's going up rapidly and is going to be perfect!!
Wow and WOW again!!

You dont want to know how much it has cost :) (or how much it hasn't!)

The estate we live on is still being built.... most of the materials shown have actually come out of the site skip!! (so much for an eco friendly development - The wood is almost un touched and it looks like they just couldnt be bothered to move it back to the stores so binned it with a digger) the floor is all out of the skip too!

My Dad has his own Building company so he has the other bits we needed. The insulation and the membrane.

The rest of it is going to cost us a bit (we're off to get more supplies tomorrow)

This will still be used as a shed and a breeding house for the fish - the tanks in the house are staying put :)

Blimey, looks wonderful!!! Keep up with the pics. Don't suppose you want to hire out your Dad do you?!?!?!? Does he do a little bit of plumbing and some decorating, cos I'd give you good money for him!!! :D :D

He's fully booked until June next year!

He said to me today that he thinks he's good enough to do this for a living, I said what build fish sheds - "no this building lark" was his reply.
He's had his own company now for over 15 years :D

His enginering background makes him a rare breed "an acurate and precise builder"

Its a shed Dad - stop chasing mm's !

Looking good Russ :D

Almost as good as the 'shed improvement' we did on Pete's shed the other weekend !!! ;)

Can't wait to see the finished article......

Sounds like my uncle - he's a precision engineer. He built some kitchen cupboards for my aunt that were precise to a 1000th of an inch! Only thing was he'd forgotten to take the paint into account - as soon as they were painted the drawers stopped closing!

Fish shed looks seriously cool - we want pics thoughout the build!

That looks like it will be superb. I wish I had the space to build one. Look forward to seeing the progress.

WoW fabulous ! Very jealous ;)

Would love to see development piccies ! :cool:

that was yesturdays work - we did quite a lot really...

We should be doing some more tonight - but were almost out of wood... tome to visit the skip again... ok but the builders are on site again today and wont been too chuffed at the 'public' raiding the skip without hard hat etc :whistle:

I'm still not sure about what to do with the tanks yet, So far i have collected the following

4 - 2ftx1x1
1 - 4ftx16x16
1 - 32"x14"x18"

Not sure how to set them up - I think I'll set the 2 bigger tanks up in their ewn right and run the 2fts from the same system (probubly 3 as tanks and one a filter sump...

That will all be decided later though - just need to get it built first :)

If you are going to go for central filtration I would say use plastic containers as sumps. For moving my fish from a 6 x 18 to a 6 x 2 the missus bought 4 huge buckets (I say buckets, these things are about 2 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter and hold a fair amount) for around £10 to £15.

Then you can have more tanks :D

Looks good though. Very good. I wouldn't mind doing that, but I don't think the council would like a shed bolted to the side of a 3rd floor flat... -_-

andywg said:
If you are going to go for central filtration I would say use plastic containers as sumps. For moving my fish from a 6 x 18 to a 6 x 2 the missus bought 4 huge buckets (I say buckets, these things are about 2 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter and hold a fair amount) for around £10 to £15.

Then you can have more tanks :D

Looks good though. Very good. I wouldn't mind doing that, but I don't think the council would like a shed bolted to the side of a 3rd floor flat... -_-
[snapback]865550[/snapback]​
:rofl: no can't see them taking too kindly to that ;)

looking good keep the pictures coming have you tried asking the site manager for any spare wood? as most times if its scrap or just being scrapped then they might let you have it very rare they send it back cos then they have to admit they over ordered :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back