FISH RECOMMENDATIONS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pnb00004

Reaction score
my 30-gallon tank currently has one angelfish and 5 platies living in it. Things are going great and all the fish seem very happy and healthy. I soon want to add more additions as I have plenty of room to do so. I plan on getting a single male dwarf gourami, either honey or powder blue to add. I also want to add another fish and was originally thinking about serpae tetra, but realized they can be fin nippers and might upset my angel. What are some colorful, peaceful fish that I could add to my community?

Thanks in advance!

When i had angelfish i seen the pair used to stick together so maybe another angelfish to keep the other company.

30G is on the very short end for one angel let alone a pair.

@OP What are your water parameters(KH, GH) and what are the tank dimensions?

Last edited:
When i had angelfish i seen the pair used to stick together so maybe another angelfish to keep the other company.

That could end in disaster, It is very difficult to just add another Angel to an established tank,

I was maybe thinking Diamond Tetra or ram cichlids. Would either of those work?

What are your water parameters?
If you go for rams it's quite difficult to get an established pair, they're usually bought in a group as juveniles until a pair is established and then you'll either need a larger tank for the others to grow out or be prepared to rehome them.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

I had Diamond Tetras once, they were really nice. Harlequin rasbora are nice. As well as Firehead Tetras.

Sorry for my bad advice. I guess when i had Angelfish we bought 2 and they paired but didn't realize adding one to existing single angelfish wouldn't work. Just thought they are happier in pairs.

Last edited:
Sorry for my bad advice. I guess when i had Angelfish we bought 2 and they paired but didn't realize adding one to existing single angelfish wouldn't work. Just thought they are happier in pairs.
no problem I considered it for a while cause i thought that as well!

I would not add more fish to this tank, so long as the angelfish is in it. A 30g tank is not large, and the angel will grow to six inches body length with an 8-inch vertical fin span. It does not like active swimming fish around it, which rather lets diamond tetras out. Plus I would give the diamonds at least a 3-foot, preferably 4-foot, tank. I've had this species for many years, most of them are now fry raised in the tank (or more often the canister filter and retrieved by me when it is cleaned) that are now adults. Rather an active fish.

Earlier someone asked for the water parameters which have not been mentioned yet, this would also factor in. The "fireheads" mentioned presumably are rummy nose tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri) and parameters matter for this species. The Harlequin Rasbora also mentioned would be better than the diamonds, and less demanding of parameters not extreme.

Byron.

I would not add more fish to this tank, so long as the angelfish is in it. A 30g tank is not large, and the angel will grow to six inches body length with an 8-inch vertical fin span. It does not like active swimming fish around it, which rather lets diamond tetras out. Plus I would give the diamonds at least a 3-foot, preferably 4-foot, tank. I've had this species for many years, most of them are now fry raised in the tank (or more often the canister filter and retrieved by me when it is cleaned) that are now adults. Rather an active fish.

Earlier someone asked for the water parameters which have not been mentioned yet, this would also factor in. The "fireheads" mentioned presumably are rummy nose tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri) and parameters matter for this species. The Harlequin Rasbora also mentioned would be better than the diamonds, and less demanding of parameters not extreme.

Byron.
Yeah sorry Byron, by Firehead Tetra I mean Hemmigrammus Bleheri. I call them that name so I don't need to call Rummynose Tetras, "True Rummynose Tetra".

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back