Fish Less Likely To Become Ill?

GuppyGoddess

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
1,037
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
Not taking into account WHERE I purchase my fish, generally speaking which ones are known to be less subseptible to disease and/or most likely to respond to treatment(s)?

My guppies in my 3-gallon have camallanus. This is my first tank and knowning that the outcome is not good, I'm hoping to find fish that are more hardly and probably less overbred (as I would assume guppies are).

Not being discouraged YET, I am wondering what would be a good alternative fish. The only other fish I have is a Betta in a 1-gallon bowl and I plan to purchase a second Betta in the fall, and he will also be put in a bowl rather than a tank. (so, I'm looking for new fish for the 3-gallon if I decide to start over from stratch)
 
Most fish shouldn't develop any diseases if their water quality parameters are met. How many guppies wre in the 3 gal? Was it cycled?
Be proactive instead of reactive.
 
There are two guppies in the three gallon. I was cycling with them and doing regular water changes. Even though the ammonia went up to 1 ppm, there were never any nitrites, and now the ammonia is down to around 25 ppm. I was told the tank cycled more quickly because of size and may not have had a significant nitrite amount.

The guppies are still in the tank and swimming and acting just fine. It's the issue that I can see the camallanaus threads hanging out of one of the fish. This clearly was a parasite that (or both fish) contracted before entering my tank. They both came from the same tank at the same pet store.

I'm just freaked that my first tank has become a failure and am hoping for a more positive experience (if and when I bleach the tank and start over). . .next time I'll do a fishless cycle.
 
1. its columnaris
2. they probably caught it due to bad water conditions
3. ammonia is poisonous in any levels above 0.0001ppm :P
4. Treat using anti-bacterial & add some sea salts
5. blind cave tetras are hardy fish [compared to others like gouramis, which have no strenth and practically melt in a new tank]
 
Thanks for your reply.

My fish do not have symptoms of columnaris. The only symptom is red threads dangling out of one of the fish's vent, which according to everything I've read, indicates Camallanus.
 
GuppyGodess is correct tropic John. She is describing camallanus. They are especially nasty internal parasites that look like red worms hanging from the anus of an infested fish. They are barely able to be cured but they are not the result of poor water conditions, fish in cycling or any similar problems. They are present in the tank because a fish with them was introduced to the tank. There is no such thing as a fish that cannot be infested with these parasites so another species would not prevent it happening again. The only way that I know to prevent an infestation in a tank is to quarantine all new fish and inspect them closely for about a month before allowing them into contact with your other fish. Guppies are very tough fish, in my experience, but they can be bred by irresponsible breeders in poor conditions that expose them to disease just as easily as any other fish can. I would consider the fish source as the main factor in having fish like that in your tanks rather than the fish species. If your LFS can't be bothered to refuse sick fish or to learn quickly about bad suppliers, they do not deserve your custom.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top