fish-IN cycle stalled or steadily progressing?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phildo5

Reaction score
hello, I've been cycling a 29 gallon tank since 2-26-21 and i added several zebra danios a few days later after adding TSS+ and yes i know the fish-in method isn't a method ill do again as i am currently cycling 2 other tanks with pure ammonia (another 29 gallon and a 10 gallon QT tanks.) i lost a few danios early on, but i have 6 right now and they seem happy for the most part and love eating, and chasing one another. As of today im reading .50Ammonia, 0 nitrite (i presume bc of the TSS and never had a reading) and 2.5-5nitrate and 7.2 ph. i first started getting a reading of nitrate on 3-27-21. My tap water is .50Ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate, ph of 8.2, 100-120ppm KH, 140-150ppm GH.

Does the emergence of nitrate in late march (3-27) indicate the cycle is slowly but surely progressing? the ammonia in my tank has been steady around .25-50 the last few weeks and never reached passed .75ppm ammonia at any known time. some help and insight would greatly be appreciated! thank you

This sounds like it is progressing.

Have you checked if the ammonia is free ammonia or ammonium (there is a specific test for this)?
Do you know if your water is treated with chlorine or chloramine?
Which water conditioner are you using and in what dose?

Sorry for all the questions, at face value a reading of 0.5 ammonia in a pH of 7.2 could be toxic for the fish so we just need to establish if they are in any danger.

There are calculators to work out how much of the total ammonia (the tester reading) is in the harmful free ammonia state.

Set salinity to zero and enter the data from your testers/thermometer. The calculate button will give 2 results, you need the lower one "NH3 concentration".
If this is below 0.05, the fish are OK for a couple of days; below 0.02 they are OK for several days. Long term it should be well below 0.02.

thanks everybody for the replies, tank is cycled as numbers have been steady for 7 days. much love

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back