Fish Identification Please Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joel08

Reaction score
Hi, bought a new fish from a LFS, they didn't know what exactly it was but was sold in a mixed species community tank with filament barbs, severums, silver dollars. Was the only one left of this species, but no one knows what it was.

Please see pictures attached. Long 4" silver body with Black spot on dorsal and anal fin. Also light stripe running across body. Bit of orange in the eye. Please help name this species of fish.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 25
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 27
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 24
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 25
  • fish5.jpg
    fish5.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I’d guess it’s an X-ray tetra

I’d guess it’s an X-ray tetra

That is clearly not the shape of x-ray tetra sorry to be honest. The shape of this fish is more Pinktail Chelsius and torpedo barb like.

I need more accurate suggestion please.

That is clearly not the shape of x-ray tetra sorry to be honest. The shape of this fish is more Pinktail Chelsius and torpedo barb like.

I need more accurate suggestion please.
Wow, just had a look. I think you are very close if not correct. I'm still researching but that is the best answer so far.

Its hard to be accurate as your pictures are quite blurry but I would think it is that if it was in a misc tank definitely an African tetra with that kind of mouth - check out some of the Congo Tetra and Brycinus species as a few different ones are around at the moment.

Also please try to remember people are helping you here so try not to be too 'honest' in your replies :)

Wills

Its hard to be accurate as your pictures are quite blurry but I would think it is that if it was in a misc tank definitely an African tetra with that kind of mouth - check out some of the Congo Tetra and Brycinus species as a few different ones are around at the moment.

Also please try to remember people are helping you here so try not to be too 'honest' in your replies :)

Wills

Hi I been confused for so long with wrong answers. But thanks for the help I think you are correct.

Hi, bought a new fish from a LFS, they didn't know what exactly it was but was sold in a mixed species community tank with filament barbs, severums, silver dollars. Was the only one left of this species, but no one knows what it was.

Please see pictures attached. Long 4" silver body with Black spot on dorsal and anal fin. Also light stripe running across body. Bit of orange in the eye. Please help name this species of fish.
Yes a y a, but I forget the name

Yes, a tetra, I think a "red eye". Make sure you have a good sizes tank & see how many should be a on school to keep them happy, as they can be somewhat bullies, chasing other fish.

The last member to post above has raised an extremely important issue. Before I comment on that, I second the species likely being Arnoldichthys spilopterus; my knowledge of the African characins is so limited as to be next to nil, but the pictured fish is certainly a characin not a cyprinid.

This fish needs a group of 10-12. This applies to all shoaling fish (some call it schooling). This "expectation" is programmed into the genetic blueprint of this species. When this is denied the fish, it endures serious stress with consequences. Aggression is usually increased; and the fish usually shows a latency to feed--this latter aspect is very telling because a fish that is reluctant to eat when food is available obviously has a real problem.

The aggression is probably the biggest concern here. The fish may suddenly turn on other fish, out of sheer frustration. Sometimes it reacts the opposite, and wastes away until dead. Increased aggressive behaviour though is the normal response. Unfortunately, this causes stress to the other fish in the aquarium. Even if there is no visible sign to the aquarist, the fish is sending out allomones signaling its aggression, and these seriously harm other fish which become stressed, and things just get worse.

On a general note, never acquire a fish for which you have not somehow researched the requirements/behaviours. This can save you a lot of grief, and help the fish, not only the one individual but all the other fish in your tank. The link Wills posted provides data on the fish.

The photos are blurry, indeed. But from what I'm able to see, it must be an african red eyed tetra ( Arnoldidichthys spilopterus). I had those.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back