fish ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IKeepAngels

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can anyone suggest fish spcies for a 50 gallon tank? i'd personally like south american fish and or other soft water to neutral water fish. i'd like to avoid african cichlids and such thanks!

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

if water parameters add up, some species that would be good are -
firemouth
keyhole cichlid
rams
oscar (and no other tankmates for 55)
salvini
convict
blood parrot
angel fish
gourami

id stay away from anything that is overly aggressive or that gets bigger then 6 inches or so. there are many other options that i cant think of off the top of my head

not all species listed would be good tankmates for one another

I like to stock tanks by levels.
Top options: gourami, betta, and angel fish( not all together)
Middle options: tetras, guppies, mollies, platies, sword tails, endlers ( any other schooling fish)
Bottom options: Corydoras, loaches, snails shrimp, Plecos
Please do your research before purchasing your fish. Some of these fish might not go together, so read up on it. I would suggest getting fish that are good for your parameters and not parameters for your fish.

thank you all to those who replied:)!!! i suggested soft/neutral water fish because our water is on the softer side. thanks anyway!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back