Fish Id Please :)

amyw2008

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
531
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bristol
Ok, so my mum turned up today after taking a trip to Pets @ Home and gave me these in a bag (as I was upset about my new marine fish being taken away again)...
Thing is she had no idea what they are and I dont have any idea either... they are about 1" long, one is black with orange bits and one is white with orange bits....

DSC00243.jpg



The brown on the bottom was brineshrimp (frozen) as they had just been fed (with what mum bought over with them)
 
The left one is a balloon molly by the look of it.

The others look a bit like baby oscars, i may be totally wrong!!

I hope I am wrong because for 2 oscars you would need a HUUUUGGEEE tank.

Andy
 
I know I have 4 adult mollies and a smaller one but it was just the black and white ones with the orange bits that im unsure about....
I would of looked them up online somewhere but I didnt even know where to start
 
tank isnt big enough by the sounds of things (215ltrs)....
the shop person said he didnt know what they were but he als said they wouldnt grow much bigger (how wrong could he be?!?!?!)
Looks like I have a month or so maximum to find them a house where they will have a much bigger tank!
 
That is soo sad, because your mom was trying to be nice, and this ended up. Yeah, I agree, the one on the far left and the one on the far right are baloon mollies, but the two in the middle are Tiger oscars, one albino, and one regular. Cute buggars aren't they? Too bad they don't stay small.
 
I thought they were oscars as the markings are very distinctive and I've seen them full size in my lfs and they get big lol

For 1 oscar it is normally 75 US gallons required so you will have to find them a good home soon I'm afraid. At least your mum had her heart in the right place lol

Andy
 
yea :( they are soooooo cute :hyper:
they are the 2 smallest fish in the tank at the moment which is fine but I think I may have to look into rehoming them within the next few months and then warn mum not to buy randoms to cheer me up unless im there and can see what she is buying...
 
I would complian to the fish shop,jesh you own/work in a fish shop and dont know an oscar :blink: new job tell him/her :good:
rehome astat as not long before you fish turn to food, sorry but thats what happens when you impulse buy before reasearching, lord knows ive done it enough,
have a read through the thread<LOTS OF HELPFUL INFO ON THE FIRST POST WITH LINKS
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=253192
 
Agree with nelly here, they will grow pretty fast and when they do start to grow they will prey on any fish smaller than them so most of your tank will become moving snacks.

I'd either put them on this forum in the classifieds section to see if you can rehome them or take them back to the fish store armed with some facts from the internet and kick up a fuss. It made me laugh when you said the guy said 'they wont get much bigger!' I think a bit of re-training is required lol.

Andy
 
If a sales person dose not know what these are are then they dont want to work in a fish shop.

These fish look stunning esp while small but so many grow to nearly 12 inches and eat anthing they can fit in their mouth, and even then if they dont fish they will bully them!!!!!!

Take them back and say it ate all your small fish too!!!!!!!
 
Their colors in the wild are stunning. I like the type that still have the circles on their tail. They are stunning also. Oscars are just stunning fish in general.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top