Fish Id Help Please

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
2,000
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Belgium
they are said to be malawis, and ive asked in the old world section but no one replied, and i really do need to find out what they are today...can anyone here help (higher traffic area here!)

[URL="http://www.kapaza.be/Dieren_en_toebehoren/...i_Cyclides.html"]http://www.kapaza.be/Dieren_en_toebehoren/...i_Cyclides.html[/URL]

malawi.jpg



it is a breeding couple and a another male. if i take all three is it likely i'll have problems?

ps - please dont move this as i already have a post in the old world section, just no boogers answered yet :)
 
i thought jewel cichlid but its colour seems too 'solid' all the pics of jewels ive looked at seem to have a mottles or spotty kind of effect going on :)
 
cant find anything i the old world section that looks like it :( maybe its not a malawi after all????
 
I'd say jewel - I had a very stressed one that looked like that until it settled in.
 
Its a jewel. They go bright red when there ready for breeding. Please if your keeping these with other cichlids do not get a male and female! You will have trouble trust me. I would go for 2f IMO.
 
it is 2 m 1 female...take it im gonna have problems? the couple will be in a 200L on their own...can i put the lone male in a community tank?
 
What other fish are in the community? The pair will be fine on their own.
 
I think a lone male might be ok, but I would but IMO I woulnt recommend it, I would get another 3F should be ok in the 200l if its got good filteration.
 
the community is my 500L+ community minx..has a bit of everything in there many tetras, kribs angels danios platys catfish mollys goerami etc
 
Well put them all in the 200L to start with and see what happens, if they do breed, you will need to remove the lone male, in which case, I would try it in the communit, its large enough to give it a go, obviously any problems and you will need to put him on his own in something else.
 
looks like i shall have to rehome a male...many thanks :) would the lone male be ok in a 60L until i find a new home for him? its the only thing i have spare apart from a heated pond but theres turtles there so he might end up as lunch
 

Most reactions

Back
Top