Fish Has Totally Vanished

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

twintanks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Have been off the forum for a long time, just busy with the stuff of life (including fish)....however I am currently experiencing a "Star Trek transporter" effect with my gourami....he's gone.
20 gallon tank (UK), six copper harlequins, seven neons; a few cherry shrimp, a lot of small pond snails. Water parameters; nitrate 5-10, ammonia is a bit odd, 0-0.25.....(colour slightly green, API kit, this one is always tricky to read). The little dwarf gourami had been pretty unwell, lying on the bottom, quite weak but still managing to feed. He was there on Saturday...but nowhere to be found on Monday morning. I've had the ornaments out, and checked all round the tank on the floor. Also checked the tank lid inside. The filter and pump is an internal Fluval, but there's no way he could get inside that.
My only thought is (daft though it might be) that he's buried himself and died, with the potential to upset the water quality. Is this even remotely possible? Anyone got any further thoughts?

I can only imagine he died and your shrimp and snails quickly made light work of his body most likely overnight, did you see him at all on Sunday? sorry for your loss.

That was my thought, too....but heck, they must have been hungry! I do not recall seeing him on Sunday, but never really thought to look more closely, since he had been alive and moving around a little bit (like a flounder) the night before. It's like having a set of vultures....yes I hope he's at peace now.

this has happened to me a few times.  My tank is heavily planted and it is not uncommon for me to not see a fish for a couple of days.  The only way to know is to examine the tank carefully and count the fish.  I have never found the remains.  My shrimp and and snail  apparently eat them very quickly.  I have also never noticed an ammonia spike.  and My nitrate is always at very low levels.  In all likelyhood my  plant are apparently consuming the nitrogen before I do my regular water tests.

twintanks said:
ammonia is a bit odd, 0-0.25.....(colour slightly green, API kit, this one is always tricky to read).
Slightly off topic but ive been advised that the API test kit can pick up ammonium in general. Also, between 0 and 0.25 the lighting would make a difference :) i wouldnt worry as long as it isnt going up, and aslong as its more yellow than the 0.25 reading (im probably gonna get shouted at on this forum for this though... I do understand that ammonia is bad, but the API test is not great for trace to 0 ammonia)

I'm going to re-check the ammonia per day, for the next few days....I usually read the colour in day light, by a window.

betta fish said:
I can only imagine he died and your shrimp and snails quickly made light work of his body most likely overnight, did you see him at all on Sunday? sorry for your loss.

Yes, shrimp and/or snails appear to be the most likely culprits, especially if he was spending most of his time on the substrate

im thinking he may have jumped? I have had some missing fish that I'd find 3 ft or so across the room (o-o)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back