Ive Lost Almost All My Fish Snail And Shrimps

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jimboshrimp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't really know where to start I'm so upset.
I have 64L tank I did cycle with fish, I had live plants 2 air stones so plenty of oxygen ( didn't know any better at the time ) I had ammonia problems after tank had been set up but it all was fine after advice from you wonderful people but a couple of weeks ago I added 3 endler guppies they were all very small and I knew not to add any more after these as I had 3 golden barbs 3 danios 5 neon tetras already plus captain nemo my rabbit snail and 2 small freshwater shrimps.
I now have only the neon tetras everyone else has died :( 
I noticed white spots one day on one of the danios it was staying at the bottom of the tank but still feeding and gills weren't exaggerating movement either. Did 50% water change added anti white spot .
Next day it was covered in it and the other 2 danios but still alive , one of the shrimps passed away that day I did another 50% change but didn't add any more anti white spot as it said do next one 4 days after the first.
The poor rabbit snail stopped moving about he was usually very active not just at night but during day too. His door was partially closed I checked there was no smell so presumed he was still alive just hiding he never came  out again at all I even went downstairs in middle of night to check him.
Next day the golden barbs were all very slow in the water but no white spot the other shrimp died .
Next morning all 3 barbs and all 3 danios were dead too :(
 So I took the neon tetras out of the tank put them in a very large jug with water from the  tank but nothing else and did 100% water change took the plants out threw them away. Took out the decorations submarine and plastic plant scrubbed them in boiling water and with a brush to make sure nothing was left on them, took out the gravel rinsed that in boiling water and rinsed thoroughly over and over again many times through a seive , cleaned the tank walls with the magnet tank cleaner at no point used any kind of disinfectant etc .
I put the gravel back in and only the submarine so the poor neons  could have somewhere to hide in if needed, I put dechlorinated water back in with more anti white spot then slowly introduced the neons back into the tank and added some filter booster as I had cleaned all the ornaments etc so thought would be low in bacteria and didn't want to start having ammonia problems again.

At no point did I wash the filter media but did remove the carbon one before medicating.
So today I have 5 neons and can see no more white spot at all.
Although the anti white spot says do it once then 4 days later should I stick to this as I did it yesterday and plan on doing water change tomorrow 
Do you think the snail and shrimps deaths were caused by the white spot as well as I didn't know it would ? 
The shrimps were only added after the ammonia problem was solved as I know they can't survive in it. Poor captain nemo was in for the whole duration but as I say was very active even up to couple of days after white spot started.
I have  Not done water test today as I wasn't sure if the readings would be accurate because of the medication. Should I do one ? 
I have  also turned the temp up to 80° as I read on here that help the cycle of the white spot get to vulnerable stage quicker for the medicine to work and  kill it.
I have put the 2 air stones in as well so water gets oxygen.
I feel terrible for my poor fish but hope I have  now done the  right thing for the remaining few.
Please advise me if I have done  the wrong thing now and how I should rectify it.
Sorry it's such a long post but I just didn't know what to do .
Thanks for any help and advise given.
Angie 

Sorry for your losses. Never a nice thing to experience or hear about.

When I had ich/white spot I slowly raised the temp of the water to 30c and added salt, and didn't do anything else for 10 days. This killed it and it didn't return. I had neons in the tank and they dealt with the temp and salt with no problem. Sounds like you might have got rid of it with such a thorough clean, but it wouldn't do any harm to try the salt method, just in case.

I can't remember the dosage of salt exactly, but I put in 2.5 teaspoons, either per UK or US gallon. There's plenty on the web to work it out and 2.5 spoons worked just fine for me. I used Saxa table salt, which does contains addative, but it was fine. Once the 10 days were up I just did normal water changes weekly to bring the salt down.

There are lots of sites with info on ich. This one is pretty decent.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Sorry again 
confused.gif

Thanks I will try the salt I had previously looked on that site about the  ich :) any ideas about the snail and shrimps I can't seem to find anywhere it says about them and ich. 
Will it be ok to add salt to the anti white spot or should I not add any more do a water change then start the salt ? 
Th as inks again
Angie

I don't keep snails or shrimp, so can't offer any opinion on that, sorry. Someone else might, but in the mean time keep looking on the web. 

I don't know how the treatment would react to salt, but to be sure I'd just start over with a 100% water change.

Thanks again it does seem the best approach , I'm so gutted about poor captain nemo I loved watching him get all over the place I called him that because he kept climbing onto the submarine :) I'm virtually housebound so was really looking forward to enjoying my fish :(  I have no intentions of adding anything else until I am absolutely sure I have this conquered
Angie  

I think that it would be ok to add the salt aswell with the treatment, just because if it wasn't it would most probably say on the bottole of treatment or the pot of salt.

I know exactly how you feel. Lots of people do.... I didn't lose any fish with ich, but I've had a very unpleasant wipe out for another reason and lost a couple clown loaches, which I really loved. The best you can take from it really is that you've gained some experience and knowledge...

Not only knowledge and experience but confidence to be able to ask questions and know I will get a response and help.
Thanks so much.
Angie 

You probably lost your inverts because most medicines will kill them off. I'm not sure what ingredient it is, but this is a very normal thing to experience after dosing a medication. They can not get ich. It's the medicine which kills them. I'm sorry for your loss. Best thing to do now is to keep with the medicine directions, unless you decide to do salt and heat. I wouldn't add medicine with salt and heat because some fish react poorly to this combination. Many freshwater fish already are unused to the salt, then adding the medicine can sometimes be too much and you may lose them. 

Yes, should check all meds for invertebrate suitability, copper content is usually the big NO, in most cases it is quite safe to add salt to the aquarium while dosing other meds at the same time and a temperature hike of about four to six degrees centigrade is a good path to follow with treating Ich.
smile.png

Thanks very much I will be doing the 50% water change again this morning and adding more medication , there are no signs this morning on any of the 5 neons
water checked ammonia 0 ph slightly low 6·4 nitrite 0 and nitrate just a shade above 0 so hopefully everything going to be ok now , I'm going on holiday to Menorca in 3 weeks so will not be adding any more fish until I have come back and can keep my eye on everything. Thanks for all the support and advise if you think of anything else please feel free to let me know.
Angie 

Sorry to hear about your loss. I found the treatments didn't help the situation and I lose roughly four tank loads to Ich. I found the best method is aquarium salt ( not table salt as too many additives) and 30 c temp for ten days. The meds may have wiped out your filter bacteria too, so keep checking your water levels for a good month after treatment is finished, good luck with your remaining fish x

Although using salt that is as refined as possible would be favourable, using regular table salt even ones containing anti-caking agents and iodine will not adversely effect your fish any more than adding salt itself and adding a little extra declorinator (Sodium thiosulfate) will combat any problems with the tiny amounts of hexocyanoferrate (an anti caking agent that contains trace amounts of cyanide). As for dosing using a 1 gram per litre of tank water is a simple dosage calculator or use one tablespoon per (US) gallon
smile.png

Well all the neons are still doing fine :) they are feeding well and no signs of ich , do you think we are over the worst now or how long do you think it may still manifest yet. 
All water parameters are still fine ammonia 0 nitrite 0 ph almost 7  nitrate showing a little above 0 I'm doing another 50% change tomorrow then will be starting the salt treatment I have had the temp up for a few days now and they are showing no signs of stress :) I haven't any live plants in now at all and don't plan on adding any until after my holiday when I will be getting some more fish but quarantine them first .
Can you think of anything I've missed or should now be doing so I manage to keep all my little neons healthy 
Than k s again for all the advise I really do appreciate it .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back