Fish for Middle / Upper swimming Levels

CyprusSteve

Reaction score
I would be pleased to receive reccommendations / advice for peaceful fish - not TOO active - which swim in the middle to upper regions of a tank, and which would be compatible with Serpae Tetra, Neon Tetra, and Platy.
I have space available :)
Many thanks,
Steve

Tank size would help members.

That would make a nice topic for someone to research. I know most of the bottom fish and the mid tank fish but angels are the only ones I really know of that are usually classified as top of the tank. Unfortunately, you would probably have a problem with the angels and neons later on. Once the angels get big enough to get the neons in their mouth, they would definitely eat them.

As for mid tank inhabitants, I think most community fish would fall into that area. Tetras, rasboras, rainbows, barbs, etc are mid tank. I'm not certain about all the compatibility issues. Here is a pretty good compatibility chart that might help.

Yup, need the tank specs. Also, cyprinids and characins are upper level fish, and such fish as the African Butterfly would also stay on top, of course. :p

A cool addition, IMO, to a big tank is the hatchetfish. :D

White Cloud Mountain Minnows swim near top and are a lovely peaceful fish that dont grow much over 1"

Tempestuousfury said:
Coldwater fish, though, no?
I asked my LFS guru this too because I liked the long finned models and he said they had been farm raised for so long they had adapted to warmer temps. I haven't kept any and am new at this, so I can't speak from experience.

I did read on the Net that the black neons tend to swim up higher in the tank, but I don't know about the very top level.

One of my friends has danios and they sure are active, probably not what you are after. Her guppies (not sure if you want livebearers or not) are up at the top a lot.

P.

My Honey Gouramis generally stay in the top 3rd of the tank.

They particular like the taller plants that break the surface and spend most of their time amongst them.

actually steve, if this is the tank you have pictured in your profile, i'd say it looks great as-is! :thumbs: you know what they say: "if its not broke, don't fix it!" ;)

Thanks - but this is a different tank :)
This tank is 140 litres - OR 30 UK gallons - OR 37 USA gallons, if I have done my sums right. I have an oversize filter - PH 7 - temperature around 28.
Currrently stocking :
4 x Platy – Male
10 x Neon Tetra
10 x Serpae Tetra
2 x Coryodora
Although the Platy tend to wander, the majority of all movement is in the bottom two thirds - hence I am looking for a small peaceful shoal of top swimmers.
I do not like the Hatchet Fish.
I DO like Guppys very much -( are they top swimmers ? ) , but, I have been told they are very prone to disease, and also to having their tails nipped by other fish - maybe not true ?
Thanks,
Steve

upper and middle reach tank fish that i would suggest are angels and gouramis. by the way silver dollars stick to the middle and are great fish if you have the room

you should look at the shape of the mouth for which level of the water they like. all the livebearers mouths are on the top of the head so they are top swimmers and the underslung mouths of the catfish and loaches show they prefer to stay at the bottom. the fish with the mouths in the middle are the mid swimmers and they will go all over the tank.
i have white cloud minnows in my tropical and they are doing fine after a year but i wouldnt class them as top level fish. they like to swim in all levels.

Hatchet fish infamous upper level folks!

But compatibility etc. I am clueless with.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back