Fish Food

ThePiggy

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Alexandria, LA
I recently acquired a tank from a relative and it came with leftover fish food. There were some tropical fish crisps, algae wafers, and freezedried tubifex. The algae wafers seem a bit stale, but I'm not sure how old they are. Is there anything wrong with still using them?
 
They should be fine. I don't know that they really have a shelf live. I by flakes in the big box and a can lasts me over a year.
 
The flake isnt any good if its all crunched into tiny pieces. That means its too old to hold it'self together. Tubifex dosent go bad. Its been freeze dried. Algea wafers dont go bad either, that i know off.
 
There isn't a date on any of them, that's why I was wondering. The flakes are all still whole. It was mostly the algae wafers and the tubifex that I was worried about. I guess as long as the fish still eat them, it's ok? The wafers seemed kinda stale, but the catfish still ate one. When I took a closer look at the tubifex, there were tiny little orange-ish bugs that look like aphids or something crawling around... So, I guess this means I shouldn't use it, eh?
 
The tubiflex may not be any good. They aren't terribly expensive so better safe than sorry. I personally don't like tubiflex as they just see to make a mess when I pour them in. I usually stick to brine shrimp, bloodworms and daphnia for frozen foods.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top