Fish Food Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SmexxyNick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I feed them a little bit of everything at the same time. Would it be better to stick with one brand ? I just think it's better with a variety.
I have Zebra Danios, Platys and Neon Tetras.

http://gyazo.com/424ebea10720db1c4dcd9c6d6619b3be  <-----  (picture)

They all kill it instantly lol....

Variety is good. I feed my fish a mixture of algae, pellets, blood worms, flakes and shrimp.

Agree with Talltree01.
What you are feeding are good quality products.
Check out my profile for the variety of foods I feed my fish - which includes, live, frozen, fresh as well as prepared brands.

a good quality flake food contains all the nutrition your fish require, the key words here are "good quality"....

flakes should be the basis of their diet, other foods should only be substituted once or twice a week, if ever....

I wouldn't persoanlly say "if ever", but once or twice a week feeding something different is good.

The only exception might be when conditioning fish for breeding, when a live food diet is necessary.

Mikey1 said:
a good quality flake food contains all the nutrition your fish require, the key words here are "good quality"....

flakes should be the basis of their diet, other foods should only be substituted once or twice a week, if ever....
have you ever feed  frozen or live live food to your fish?
  why should other foods  only be substituted once or twice a week, if ever?

fish48 said:

have you ever feed  frozen or live live food to your fish?
  why should other foods  only be substituted once or twice a week, if ever?
No reason whatsover. People rarely eat the same food 5 days in a row so why should fish? Flakes must get boring sometime right? Plus, different foods allow you to watch the fish go about eating foreign material. Seeing a neon tetra try to lift a shrimp pellet really makes a great start to the day. As does 2 neon tetras having a tug-of-worm.

TallTree01 said:
No reason whatsover. People rarely eat the same food 5 days in a row so why should fish? Flakes must get boring sometime right? Plus, different foods allow you to watch the fish go about eating foreign material. Seeing a neon tetra try to lift a shrimp pellet really makes a great start to the day. As does 2 neon tetras having a tug-of-worm.

sorry but your logic is severely flawed,

the reason people do not eat the same food every meal is because one single meal can not provide a complete balanced diet, with all the nutrients our bodies need....a good quality fish flake food can do that, and does do that,

I think what Mikey is clumsily trying to say here is that good quality food provides everything the fish needs, so there is no need to feed anything different. Equally, there is no reason why you must not vary the diet.

True true. But if there was a meal that could fit all your nutritional needs would you eat it daily?

I think it is also that we anthropomorphise (now there is a big word).  Personally, I get a lot of pleasure out of seeing my fish enjoy their varied diets, and especially when they get live food, or when all the Kuhli/Java Loaches attack the inside of a muscle all at once.  Therefore for me, feeding a balanced diet is great, but I have different varieties of a balanced diet, with other "treats" thrown in, not only for the benefit of the fish, but also for my pleasure as a fish keeper, enjoying the interaction this brings
yes.gif

TallTree01 said:
True true. But if there was a meal that could fit all your nutritional needs would you eat it daily?

God, no, but then I'm not a fish. RCA is right about the anthropomorphisation thing. We project our values onto fish, and assume they want the same as us. I don't think fish really care what they eat, so long as it keeps them alive. Same as when people say they couldn't let their livebearer fry get eaten, it would be cruel. No ti wouldn't, if the fry's parents will eat the fry, why should we care?

the_lock_man said:
I don't think fish really care what they eat, so long as it keeps them alive.

i agree with this....

we as humans like variety, but fish are not human, they dont care....

i cant speak for other peoples fish, but all i know is when i toss flakes into my tanks day after day, my fish dart at them so fast they nearly jump out of the tank....and im not exaggerating one bit when i say its not uncommon for me to get splashed with water, or some water ending up on the floor before i can close the tank top

Fish are like humans, your fish don’t care cos  you don’t  give different varieties of food so they know no difference. Give them some live food and  then see how much  they like flake food, and it is a myth that you should only be substituted once or twice a week ,  frozen/ live foods can be feed more than once or twice a week  most fish keepers go to a lfs and buy a  little bag of  Daphnia or blood worms , and for  the amount  that is in the bags of Daphnia will do no harm if a bag was feed to a tank full of fish every day.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back