Fish fins changing colors

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Danny T.

Reaction score
My Long Finned Black Skirt Tetras fins change colors when I turn on the tank light they change from black to white. The process takes about 15-30 seconds. Is this normal?

Everything i have read says they do much better in a school, i only have one, it seems scared when the light is on. I dont recall it doing it when i first got the fish. It is with 2 other species.

Shoaling fish such as tetras do need to be in a shoal. They live in groups of hundreds or even thousands in the wild and they 'expect' to have other members of the same species around them.

A lot of fish change colour in the dark. For example neon tetras change from bright blue & red to brown. Could this be what you are seeing?

Fish are also affected by sudden brightness or darkness. The room should be in daylight or electric light for at least half an hour before the tank lights turn on, and half an hour after the tank lights turn off to allow their eyes to adjust slowly.

Shoaling fish such as tetras do need to be in a shoal. They live in groups of hundreds or even thousands in the wild and they 'expect' to have other members of the same species around them.

A lot of fish change colour in the dark. For example neon tetras change from bright blue & red to brown. Could this be what you are seeing?

Fish are also affected by sudden brightness or darkness. The room should be in daylight or electric light for at least half an hour before the tank lights turn on, and half an hour after the tank lights turn off to allow their eyes to adjust slowly.
Thank you. Here is pics of the fish just as i turn the tank lamp on and after about a minute.

Attachments

• 938F8682-B2BC-4A63-B8B8-1BCB69C5E463.jpeg
    938F8682-B2BC-4A63-B8B8-1BCB69C5E463.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 38
  • 99F81E2C-FF0E-486B-9C02-9CA37DCBA61C.jpeg
    99F81E2C-FF0E-486B-9C02-9CA37DCBA61C.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 43

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back