Fish extreme panic

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Rick147

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ontop of my previous post:

Over the last couple of months Iā€™ve had to remove several fish from fighting etc. each time I have to remove all the tank rock and wood so I am able to catch them.

This has resulted in my current fish being so scared that every time I walk past the tank now they scatter so fast itā€™s causing them injurings from running into things.

One tonight jammed itself behind the heater and now has a large black burn mark.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything I can do except give it time? I feel they are going to really hurt themselves soon

Try and walk towards the tank very slowly and stop removing rocks. Feed some nice food so they see you as positive again

I feel your pain. All of my tanks are heavily scaped, so catching fish is nearly impossible without demolishing the tank and severely stressing the fish. Two things I do to prevent this: First and most importantly, really do your research on compatibility. This will avoid most issues that require you to catch fish. Second, leave one end of the tank undecorated. Many species like an area of open water and open sand; leave this at one end of your tank. That way, with a little skilled net work, you can herd the desired fish into an area of the tank where there's nowhere to hide, while leaving the others mostly alone.

Fish that are skittish will respond well to some covering of floating plants. They see this as protection from overhead predation and, in the case of forest fish, expect a canopy as part of their natural habitat.
Also try to avoid bright lighting and white substrate as the glare is stressful to them and adds to the feeling of being exposed to predators.

Watch the video to get some tips on catching fish calmly to reduce stress

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back