Fish dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Callisto405

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It all started 4 days ago when my dad bought 3 Siamese algae eaters and 3 panda corydoras. 10 gallon tank. Small tank I know. He said they were in the car for a few hours. When we put them in the tank they looked very grey in color. The next day 1 was belly up. All the corys and other algae eaters are fine and have regained color. Then the next day one of our 3 spotted gouramis died. Probably 2-3 years old and about 3 1/2 - 4 inches long. Then 24 hours later the other gourami died. I feel like they died because of their undesirable habitat and small tank size. Now 24 hours later our one and only giant diano is not eating, not active as usual and staying near the top of tank ( not gasping for air). He is over 3 years old and full grown and looks great with no signs of disease as did the gouramis. Thank is established for over 7 years. Water is great. I do partial water changes every week. Ammonia 0 and nitrites 0. Only thing I haven't checked is the ph but since I change the water on a regular basis I'm sure that's not the issue. I will check though. Tank has little decoration, about 15 fish, mostly tetras and corys, an airstone and a large hang on back filter. I'm fairly good and knowledgeable about fish keeping but this has me perplexed. Is this just a coincidence in them dying or am I missing something.

10 gallon tank.

3 algae eaters
3 corydoras
3 spotted gouramis
1 giant danio
15 Tetras & Corys

Have I got that right?

There are serious stocking problems with this tank. It is grossly overstocked with fish that need much bigger tanks.

It is possible the new fish brought in a disease which killed the other fish.

You need several water changes more than 60%. You need to get it down below 20 ppm and if the current level is 80 ppm a 60% change will only get it down to 32 ppm. If it's currently 160 ppm, 60% will get it to 64 ppm.

With the amount of fish in that small tank, water changes should be around 75% several times a week.

Who owns the tank, you or your father? if it's your father you may have problems getting him to admit that it is very badly stocked, but if it's your tank we can work with you to sort it out.

You need several water changes more than 60%. You need to get it down below 20 ppm and if the current level is 80 ppm a 60% change will only get it down to 32 ppm. If it's currently 160 ppm, 60% will get it to 64 ppm.

With the amount of fish in that small tank, water changes should be around 75% several times a week.

Who owns the tank, you or your father? if it's your father you may have problems getting him to admit that it is very badly stocked, but if it's your tank we can work with you to sort it out.
It's my father's tank. There is only 15 fish total. Yes it is overstocked and yes he thinks it totally fine. I'm just trying to get it straightened out for him. He thinks he knows everything about fish

Do you know the dimensions of the tank? The algae eaters grow to around to 14cm

I'll keep giving water changes till the number comes down

That’s a starting place but it’s definitely overstocked. Believe me, I know about overstocked! I’m dealing with about a jillion Jack Dempsey babies! I have crazy amounts of filtration but my nitrate numbers are still higher than I want despite frequent water changes and all my filtration. The difference is that my poor babies are sadly accustomed to the high numbers.

Introducing new fish to high numbers when that isn’t what they’re used to, is a recipe for disaster! Then once one fish dies, your numbers get worse quickly from the carcass, even if it’s only in there a short time.

Tell your dad a veterinarian that sees fish as patients, and has kept fish for over 40 years, told you that’s too many fish for that size tank. Especially with those gouramis. And the algae eaters are going to get enough size to cause even more problems.

Rough rule of thumb is an inch of fish per gallon. That’s 10” of fish for a 10 gallon tank. I’m getting away with more because of a crazy amount of ”over” filtration (is there such a thing?), abundant and frequent water changes, and some acclimation. But I’m getting by only by a whisker‘s width.

My Jack grow out tanks are always on the edge of disaster due to forced stocking levels! It’s the last thing I would do on purpose and would NEVER recommend it for anybody. I’ve been ridiculously lucky so far, but the balance could tip any second. I’d say that’s he’s apparently been lucky so far, but his balance just tipped the wrong way, and that’s most likely why he’s losing fish now.

You might save it temporarily with water changes, but it will probably come back and strike again with those stocking levels.

That’s a starting place but it’s definitely overstocked. Believe me, I know about overstocked! I’m dealing with about a jillion Jack Dempsey babies! I have crazy amounts of filtration but my nitrate numbers are still higher than I want despite frequent water changes and all my filtration. The difference is that my poor babies are sadly accustomed to the high numbers.

Introducing new fish to high numbers when that isn’t what they’re used to, is a recipe for disaster! Then once one fish dies, your numbers get worse quickly from the carcass, even if it’s only in there a short time.

Tell your dad a veterinarian that sees fish as patients, and has kept fish for over 40 years, told you that’s too many fish for that size tank. Especially with those gouramis. And the algae eaters are going to get enough size to cause even more problems.

Rough rule of thumb is an inch of fish per gallon. That’s 10” of fish for a 10 gallon tank. I’m getting away with more because of a crazy amount of ”over” filtration (is there such a thing?), abundant and frequent water changes, and some acclimation. But I’m getting by only by a whisker‘s width.

My Jack grow out tanks are always on the edge of disaster due to forced stocking levels! It’s the last thing I would do on purpose and would NEVER recommend it for anybody. I’ve been ridiculously lucky so far, but the balance could tip any second. I’d say that’s he’s apparently been lucky so far, but his balance just tipped the wrong way, and that’s most likely why he’s losing fish now.

You might save it temporarily with water changes, but it will probably come back and strike again with those stocking levels.
My dad is old school. He is 71 and thinks he knows everything about fish tanks. Getting him to change isn't going to happen. But I can at least change his water for him. He has always had fish die. He always says it's normal. I have always told him it's to small of a tank for those fish and that's why they die. Like talking to the wall. Lol. But I have 3 tanks of my own. A 10 gallon, a 55 gallon I'm setting up and a 2 1/2 gallon betta/snail tank. I'm learning a lot. My 10 gallon is a bit overstocked. I'm going to move the congo tetras to the 55 gallon as it's to small for them

My dad is old school. He is 71 and thinks he knows everything about fish tanks. Getting him to change isn't going to happen. But I can at least change his water for him. He has always had fish die. He always says it's normal. I have always told him it's to small of a tank for those fish and that's why they die. Like talking to the wall. Lol. But I have 3 tanks of my own. A 10 gallon, a 55 gallon I'm setting up and a 2 1/2 gallon betta/snail tank. I'm learning a lot. My 10 gallon is a bit overstocked. I'm going to move the congo tetras to the 55 gallon as it's to small for them

Maybe you could sneak a couple fish out and be like, “Oh, I forgot to mention? I found a couple more dead! So sorry!” Lol! [shrug]. “I don’t know what happened. I’ve been changing water like crazy since I realized the nitrates were at toxic levels. Maybe now there are less the rest will do better?” [Batting eyelashes]. Lol!

After a few large water changes the fish seem to have a lot of energy again. It was definitely a nitrate problem. Now that the Nitrates are back to a reasonable level again, i'm going to do 2 50% changes a week from now on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back