Fish dying or pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Newbiefishkeeper666

Reaction score
Hey all, fairly new to indoor fish keeping, I have a oranda that me and my partner think may potentially be pregnant, but tonight shes started to lose her boyance in her swim bladder control and is floating to the top, and some time upside down, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated many thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you feed the fish dry food like flake or floating pellets, then it probably has a lot of air in its body and that is causing it to float around the tank.

Orandas and other fancy goldfish have a shorter body and their internal organs have been squished up. This makes it more difficult for them to digest food and if they swallow air (which happens when they take dry food form the surface), it takes longer for the air to pass through their intestine.

Try feeding the fish frozen (but defrosted) foods or live foods for a week and see if it helps.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week to ensure the water is clean and free of ammonia and nitrite.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Goldfish are not live bearers, they lay eggs so she is not pregnant. I highly recommend New Life’s Spectrum Goldfish Formula. My goldie’s do fantastic on it. I also breed goldfish and use the same brand starter food on my fry. Rapashey Solid Gold Gel food is also good and easy to mix up. Good luck! I hope all works out for you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back